open air issues

am4n

hi there... been browsing the forum about open air lupo but not had much luck so thought id just make a post and see if anyone can help...

im about to get a lupo open air, for a very silly price but the roof is leaking (according to the guy who sellin it) ive had a look at it and to be honest it looks like its just not closed properly because the cloth on the top is loose and i can slide my finger thru the gap.

anyway my questions are... has anybody got a picture of the roof when its closed so i can compare it?

if i need to replace the roof how much and where can i get it from.. im from heathrow area...

wat does the key that fits into the motor look like?

if anyone can answer these questions id be very greatful...

Hi,

There don't seem to be many Lupo open-air's around so you may struggle getting answers.

There we're quite a few Polo open-airs so it might be worth checking out a Polo forums as I would imagine

the roof's are similar. :)

There is a lad on here who just joined with im sure a white one?

the key for the motor should be clipped onto the motor itself.

Its a small piece of metal its sort of S shaped.

The best thing to do with a broken roof is to replace the whole lot.

(plenty of scrapped 6N's with open-air roof's)

Photo-0061-2.jpg

Photo-0057.jpg

Photo-0055-1.jpg

Open air roofs are great great they are working :lol:

does the motor spin and move the roof at all ?

Beyond the Motor you have a track with teeth on it.

things that go wrong are:

Motor timing can become out of sync with the location of the roof.

The roof has a system where if your fingers or something are in the runners/tracks it'll stop opening/closing.

It is possible that its perhaps over sensitive and reading the friction as something being in the way.

Track Teeth could be worn or damaged - (as the motor is running while disconnected I'd imagine your problem

is here somewhere)

I'm heading out the garage now so i'll get some photos for you.

of the motor etc.

HTH Joey

yeah thats me thats just bought one. im having problems with mine though at the minute too, but luckily mines fully closed lol.

for some reason the motor isnt working properly, going to have a look at it properly on a sunny weekend with my dad and see what we can do.

ill go get some pictures of the top and inside of it for you

edit:

got some quick pictures of above and inside the car, if it helps at all

http://img8.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=03052009145.jpg

taken the motor out so i could have a proper look at it and check it over

Edited by `Shack

ahhh cheers guys... im going again to have a look at it tomorrow. so i'll have a proper look around it and take a few pics of it... im actually starting to like this car, its a shame im not gonna be driving it tho cos im buying it for my dad... i think i may have to put my self down on his insurance... they say its gonna be hot this summer :D

ok i jus went to see it again.. the guy cudnt get it started tho cos of the battery :( so i dont knw if the roof motor is workin or not.. anyways i took a few pics.... hopefully they upload...

DSC00951.jpg

DSC00952.jpg

DSC00953.jpg

where exactly is this special tool for the motor anyway and wat bit of the motor does it fit?

You dont appear to have a motor key, which suggests someone has used it and not put it back.

I thought i took a picture of my motor roof etc. but they seem to have vanished from my phone.

hey, yeh theres no key... i bought the car home and gonna have a proper look at it on the weekend, the roof seems to be stuck, only moves a little bit and like i thought it jus needs to close properly and it shud be ok... im thinking maybe cud be the teeth are worn cos it makes a clunking noise when it stops moving..