Can't stop smiling

dxg

Opened up the garage with some trepidation this monring to take her out for the first time since the winter lay-up (this is the first time I've ever taken a car off the road for months at a time).

Anyway, I can't stop grinning because:

- she started first time, warmed up and idled perfected. Still running a bit rich, but she always has...

- the brakes were mainly rust-free and hadn't seized

- all the tyres had held their 40psi pressure perfectly and none were flat-spotted

- everything just worked. Just like she'd been parked up for a week, rather than five months or so...

Now just got to treat some rust on the front hubs and one of the nearside rear ramp point and she's good for another year!!

Fantastic! :wub:

Nice one mate, I've yet to do the same with my Megane.

Thats been off the road since December. Fortunately its been covered in a dry garage but this is the longest its been without being moved. Planning on getting it taxed and MOT'd at the end of this month. :)

Tyres pumped up to 40psi - yes, I should have put it on stands or stuck an old set on - I wasn't that origanised. Stands will be used next year.

Handbrake off.

Rolled to a stop so the pads wouldn't be hard against the discs.

Out of gear.

Left unlocked.

Driver's window open with the feed to the trickle charger through it. And a trickle charger.

And that was it.

It was in a garage with the house boiler in it - so the temperature may have dipped a bit below freezing, but not too much. I was impressed that the discs hadn't rusted over - which suggests the key was keeping it free of moisture. In fact, all the salt left on the paint (I didn't have time to clean it at the end of last year -_- ), had crystalised on it - so definately not damp.

And, since people are asking, any excuse:

3431789468_fddb68cac0.jpg

It's just a standard (aside from the G60ies) GTI. Nothing special. But mine and mine to keep!!! :D

Edited by dxg

In fact, all the salt left on the paint (I didn't have time to clean it at the end of last year ), had crystalised on it - so definately not damp.

LMAO, you went to the trouble of laying the car up for winter, but left it covered in salt as you didn't have time to clean it first. Even if you really didn't have time to give the car a proper clean, a quick hour to remove the salt would have been a good idea.

Guest LupoJoe

ill be doing this i think over next winter, although i can't understand why you didnt give it a wash mate, all the salt and crap eating away at the underside of the car :(

There just wasn't time. The Fabia hasn't been washed for six months...

You don't want my job. This is one of the reasons the Lupo only did 1002 miles last year... But still can't bring myself to sell it.

Definitely need to get the salt off the car mate, moisture or not that stuff really isn't good for the paint.

As you say though, the key to storing a car is keeping it dry and free of moisture. I did the following -

Washed, dried, waxed the car

Parked on carpet tiles to minimise tyre contact with the cold

Trick charger connected and bonnet propped slightly open to allow connection to battery

Handbrake off but in 1st gear

Covered using a waterproof car cover

The garage is not part of the house so has now heating but hopefully with a fully sealed garage and a cover its less likely to get moisture on or in the car. Car should be out by the end of the month though. :D

I've thought about it. The fact that the brakes didn't rust and the salt had crystalised means no moisture = no electroyte = no potential for corrision.

But, yes, next year it will get a hose down at the least...