Strange Knocking Noise

Last night my car started making a strange knocking noise from the rear passenger side wheel. Id have thought it was the wheel bearing but they usually make a low rumble noise?

Basically the only way I can describe it is if you put a belt in the tumble dryer and you can here the metal clip bashing about..

Any ideas? :( :(

Edited by electricpanda

Copper Slip ;)

Jack the car up. Both rear wheels off. Remove the bottom bolt for the rear dampers. The spring will fall out. Now on the top and bottom of the top mounts, cover with Copper Slip. Add some to the bottom of the spring too.

Silence is golden.....

Mine was doing that noise from both sides. I think it was simpo that told me it could be the top mounts. As i've got loads of copper slip I thought why not give it a try. Nice and peaceful ever since.

Last night my car started making a strange knocking noise from the rear passenger side wheel. Id have thought it was the wheel bearing but they usually make a low rumble noise?

Basically the only way I can describe it is if you put a belt in the tumble dryer and you can here the metal clip bashing about..

Any ideas? :( :(

Sounds very much like top mounts to me, especially if yours was the Silver GTi running low on black wheels I saw going at some considerable speed along the side of Roundhay Park towards Street Lane last night (closely followed by a fast charging 911 Carrera 4S) as just after you wizzed by us (we were walking back from exercising the hound) it sounded very much like your car thumped over one of the many raised bumps along there and gave its top mounts a proper clatter?

If it wasn't you then someone else is running a very similar looking GTi with the same issue ;-)

Edited by nicgun

It was the top mounts, fixed it the same day so yea it worked ste! And it most likely was me because Im over Roundhay alot but I dont remember a Porsche? What time was it? My car shouldnt have been making noises tho, the exhaust doesnt knock or anything and I fixed the mounts.

Edited by electricpanda

It was the top mounts, fixed it the same day so yea it worked ste! And it most likely was me because Im over Roundhay alot but I dont remember a Porsche? What time was it? My car shouldnt have been making noises tho, the exhaust doesnt knock or anything and I fixed the mounts.

Was about 7:30pm ish, car defo crashed with a hefty thump over one of the big ridges on that road (I know what it sounds and feels like as my Mk1 GTi Cab used to do the same on that exact road).

The Carrera 4s appeared to be chasing after you, both doing a fair lick.

Edited by nicgun