Warrant Question

Hi everybody,

I have an 02 plate GTI, which I bought in March03 from my local dealer in Edinburgh.

When I had its 12 month service back in March this year they told me that the second hand cars they sell do not come with the remainder of the 3yr VW Warranty, but a 1yr extended warranty instead!

In the last few days I have noticed that water is getting into the car (I thinks its the seals on the drivers door) and I am worried that I may have to fork out ££££'s to fix it.

Is it just my dealers policy on VW Warrantys, or is this correct?

please HELP

Rubbish. The three year warranty is transferrable, as long as you've (and the previous owner) kept up the services and not exceeded the mileage limitation (60k?) then they can't refuse to fix it.

Other possibility is that it might have originally been an import...?

Water coming in through the door is quite common, depending on where it's coming in at the top of the door or through the window, you'll either need a new door seal or a new window seal. Shouldn't cost much, but that's not the point, you should have a warranty!

If the Edinburgh dealer won't budge, either take it to another VW dealer or phone VW customer services. Bear in mind if Edinburgh are so clueless they don't know how the VW warranty works, you might not want them to be doing work to your car...

Its not correct in the slightest and they should be shot.

Unless you have not followed servicing intervals or done anything else to your car to infringe the warranty then it will be valid for 3 years from date of original sale. No argument.

Any problems call VW Customer Serive in Milton Keynes.....

As for water its probably window seals as they seem to go quite a lot.

Welcome by the way!

Or just print out this page: Clicky.

Quote the bit that says:

The warranty for Volkswagen passenger cars ... includes a 2 year manufacturer’s warranty plus a 1 year / 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) retailer warranty. The combined warranty is valid for a full 3 years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date of first registration

And then ask them to show you exactly where it says this only applies to the first owner of the car.

Seriously though, I'd be looking for another VW dealer nearby - because it sounds like the one your going to are either muppets or shiesters. And I don't like either category going near my car.

Edit: Oh, and welcome. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Thanks for all the replys so soon.

The car has had a full VW service history, and is definetely not an import (thought they would have to honour it anyway if its an EU car).

I though it was all s**t when they told me but I never bothered my ass to check it out until now.

I'll definetely phone VW Customer Service and a few other dealers to find out what the story is.

Thanks Again.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been driving import VWs for the past 5 years.

Warranty on imports is respected in the same way as in a country of purchase so if you had 2yrs waranty there it will be two years here , if three yrs there then 3 yrs here, same for mileage smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />.

When I had my Audi A3 (flog it to have Lupo TDi!) I made Audi to change my gearbox three times, clutch 3 times and drive half axles once for free of charge since I was able to prove that approved Audi garage (one of the biggest dealerships in London employed so called 'technician' couldn't tel his ass from his head not to mention working on the car!

Go for it and MKE them do it, also, mark all the parts that need to be changed (like filters, brake pads etc. ) before you go there - standard practice to tell customers that they need conumables changed and doing so, I had three sets of brake discs changed in this way....

If you catch them doing so make a massive uproar about it and threten them with everything including loosing franchise ,they should give you nice period of free servicing to shut you up:)

Cowboys like that should be weeded out ASAP!