Window Wipers problem

Hi,

For some unknown reason when I stick the wipers on now they seem to catch each other slightly when both in the down position making a slight click noise as they touch. (Far end tip of trivers side wiper clips the start of the passenger side wiper).

Never used to do this, has a rubber stopper come off or are the motors traveling too far / gone wrong etc??

Not sure what's going on with it but very anoying when raining listening to click, click, click etc...

Tried drowning it out with the stereo but that's not really the best way of solving the problem!

Any ideas anyone??

Anyway, I don't know what the problem is either, but some possible ideas:

Obviously check whether the blades are correctly fitted onto the arms - this is a bigger deal on a `non-GTI` - the GTI ones are either fitted correctly or not fitted at all. Then pull off the caps at the axle of each arm, and check that the nut underneath is tightly fastened.

I can't really see that it could be anything other than those two things - I mean, the wiper can't have grown, and the mounting points for the arms can't have got closer together, so...

Speaking for a GTI here

The blades are side specific, though they look near identical.

If they have been removed and refitted then they may be on the wrong sides.

If a drives side wiper blade is fitted to the passenger side arm then it will catch the back edge of the bonnet.

Sorry but cant think of anything else.

ok guys this is one that I can answer! Wahoo! No Spam!

Anyway I had the same problem when I fitted the GTi blades.

First though theat they didnt fit right but a quick twist of the passenger side one while the arm was down sorted it.

Just pull it towards the top of the winscreen a couple of mm

Sorted it out for me..

• 1 month later...

the only prob that i have with ma wiper blades is that there just crap in general , i mean when they go across the window they leave a film on the windscreen and its the same with ma dads altea , and i have cleaned them with plain water so it cant be that