Big Power No Go

_Nick_

Hi I drive a 6n 16v and the gearbox has gone, I stripped it down and it's devastation, just priced all the parts up and its over £400 so its going in the bin.

Its gonna be running 170bhp with a 1.6 Gti bottom end so i need a suitable box. I want to know what has been tried on a 16v.

Diesel box...?

8v box...?

Anything that has been tried? Want to know what works what doesnt, at the moment a diesel box tempts me the most but will the ratios work?

Cheers

Nick

They might have the same gearbox mount but I can't see the flange that fits on to the engine being the same. And even if it is, the ratio's will be to cock what with the diesels only revving to 4500rpm.

I think the ratios would be too tall!

As casper has said!

A lupo cup car ran around 220bhp on a standard 6 speed lupo box. They seem to be the pick of the bunch out of some of the other utter tosh boxes VW makes for the smaller engines.

dont mean to hijack but does anyone know if lupo 6 speed box's fit on a 6n2 polo gti?

no a lupo gti box does not fit on anything other than a lupo gti and a polo gti fits on a 1.4 so guessing its just a big no all round ;)

How are the lupo and polo gti engines different?

Surely the mountings must match up as there both the same engine code? meaning the block is the same, and has the mount holes in the same place?

John

nope the holes dont match up think it was a guy called hope who was in the lupo cup that was the one who said about it

How are the lupo and polo gti engines different?

Surely the mountings must match up as there both the same engine code? meaning the block is the same, and has the mount holes in the same place?

John

Hakeem (Lupocharged) tried fitting a Polo 1.6 16v Engine and a Lupo GTI 6 speed box together and said the flange was different