Odd fuel gauge behaviour - On Lupo GTI

Snoopy

Hey guys,

Temporarily driving my Mum's Lupo GTI while my car gets fixed, and great it is! However, the fuel gauge appears to be acting oddly.

When filled up, it will register 'full' - it will then stay pegged to the full mark for the next 120 miles, and then begin to drop. Is this normal?

Also, when driving along the motorway the other day, I actually managed to run out of petrol! The petrol light had only come on about three miles earlier, and it conked out! Fortunately I could coast to the motorway services. When it conked out, the gauge was just at the top of the red section, but by the time I'd coasted to the services it had dropped to completely empty.

Does this sound like the float is sticking? Common problem?

Any help appreciated.

Ive never heard of it happening mate, but im sure someone may have heard of it before.

Is the car under warrenty?

If it is id get it straight in to Vee Dub.

If not id guess you just better use the milage counter pal lol

Did you have a long walk? tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Not too bad, but they charged me £5 for a plastic petrol can! :0

I searched and couldn't find anything, so I just wondered if everyone experienced it and just accepted it or if it was peculiar to this one. I need to take it into VW anyway (leaking door seal) so I'll get them to check, but I always like to have a comeback if they say 'oh, that's normal, sir'.

That dosnt sound right at all mate!!

On a full tank my GTI will do about 260 miles average, and will do about 40 odd miles on the fuel light if i dont nail it much.

Get dealer to sort it out ASAP otherwise you might run out again somewhere in the middle of nowhere.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

or about 225 miles if your me

I do a lot of `M-Way` miles and never have got more than 250.

I have always noticed that in my old polo and my current lupo the gauge seems to stick at the main points - full, 3/4 full, 1/2 full, 1/4, etc and rapidy move in between these points. The problem described is extreme though and I would take it down the garage straight away as if it is fairly new I would not want to be relying on the fuel gauge.

Yep agree with the guys about 200 befor the light comes on and 220 before I ave to walk with the green can.

Not relevant to original post but i get about 210 miles until the light comes on in my new GTI, glad to see thats about on target. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

260 though :0

You def have a problem. Mine moves down smoothly. my consumption resembles Twistys. If I fill it to the brim then I can expect to get in the region of 240 with the light coming on around 210. What I have noticed is each quarter mark = 60 miles seemingly regardless of whether driven hard or soft.

Jayson

I have to really mork my engine, so I dont do so good, I normally get about 180 miles before the light comes on (only happend the once on a country lane -crap myself!) the most Iv got was just over 200 the worst was when I went to a wedding in Bassildon and only got 150 but that was on the limit every mile down the A1!!!!

200 i get about the same - use optimax, proven to decrease consumption in the long term..

I think 16v sport is the thirstiest engine on motorway which is 80% of my driving - i sit for hours at 5,000 revs pulling `85-90mph` and then drinking the juice when i am slowing down and speeding up between 80 and 90 but to be honest if you hanker along at 70 the difference in consumption is hardly noticable at all so you might as well pump it I say.

Never had a problem with the gauge mind although I imagine its battered. Just run the trip all the time until it gets sorted and fill up around 190miles or summat

Cheers guys! It's always had the issue where the fuel gauge doesn't move until the tank is over `half-empty`, but this was the first time it got 'stuck' and reported it had fuel when it didn't. Nice to know that it's not a 'feature'.

Oddly neither me or my Mum get the mileage a lot of you guys are getting, usually having the petrol light come on at 180 miles or so. It conked out on me having done about 196 miles.

Anyway, it's booked in to get that checked out as well as a couple of other minor issues (leaking driver side door seal, few rattles, etc.)

Must say I agree with motorway driving seeming to be high consumption on the Lupo. It really needs the gears to be more spaced out - for 85mph in 6th gear to be 4000+rpm is mad!

At least you don't need to change down to get the power, I guess! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

• 4 weeks later...