Help please!!

leamontea

hi everyone. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I am a now member here. I am planing to buy a 1.4s, but I readed some information from parker's owers' review they said the gearbox and Catalytic converter is awful. Difficult to get into reverse sometimes. Someone said this car is crab. Is that true? Anyone can give me some suggestions? Thanks very much. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hullo Leamontea, welcome! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I dont think there's been too many major issues with the gearbox or the Cat. There will always be the odd problem here or there in a handful of cars, but I think the negative Parkers view may be unwarranted.

This is the right place to ask folk though!

There's a 1.4s for sale in the for sale section (tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />) Well, I think its an S, nice green one belongs to KidDub - dont think anyones got a bad word to say about that one! I think almost all Lupo owners are delighted with their cars.

Put it this way, any 1.4 VW will be more reliable than any French equivelant, and the Lupo is a far less common alternative.

Hopew you get one mate!

I'd say those coments are based on one persons experiences - I've driven a 1.4s for a short while and haven't had any of those problems. I've not actually heard anyone on here speak of them either come to think of it...

If you're thinking of buying second hand, check out kiddub's ride in the for sale section.

I had the same engine/gearbox/cat in my Mk5 Polo, and I ragged that car every day from new until I sold it with 50,000 miles on it. It never missed a beat, it never had to have any warranty work done on the engine, and was fantastically reliable.

It's not difficult to get into reverse, but as with all VWs, if you don't stop fully before engaging reverse you'll get a nasty grind of gears.

I had a 1.4E for nearly three years/35000 miles

The only problem was a piece of plastic to wind the window up broke, and also the hook off the handle on the inside of the door to open the door broke, but i still wonder if the service guys damaged that when they fixed the window winder

I did find when the engine/gearbox was cold it would crunch into reverse sometimes, but pressing the clutch down, releasing it then pressing it again before selecting reverse solved that, and as snoop says making sure you are totally stationary

thanks for all your reply. the next question is I saw a lupo 1.4s yesterday. It is W reg(2000), done 31k miles, got FSH, one owner from new, red colour, 3 month tax, 1 year mot. I think it is VGC, ask 3200 pounds. Is it a good price? The only problem is I saw some oil stick on the gearbox but it is not leaking. Is it big problem? Thank u very much.

QUOTE(tdwindustries)
oil ON the gearbox doesnt worry me

why dont you clean it off and keep an eye on it.  if its bad then you might have a problem, otherwise its wear and tear

thank u. I bought the baby already. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> . I think the gearbox should be fine coz the car just serviced this June.