No Fan Blower

As the title says really, I was sitting in the car with the heating on and it was cozy and warm so switched them off, then went to switch them back on again and no fan :wacko:

I've checked the fuses and cant seem to find a fuse that would be blown that leads to the heating controls so i'm stumped!!

Could it be the fan blower motor has burnt out and if so how much and how easy is this to fix?

If all fuses are ok then it's either going to be the switch or motor. If it is a brushed motor as most are

then the brushes can ware out. If your lucky it will have replaceable brushes but if not it will require a whole

new fan unit.

Test the switch first

Fan's on the far right, you may be able to drop it out the casing without having to whip the dash out.

try booting it first though, silly as it sounds i had a passat and the climatronic got funky and a swift bash on the dash got it kicking in, eventually stopped being lazy, took it out and found something had gotten into it, snapped a couple of the things so it lost its momentum whilst spinning, got a golf mk4 one in it with some minor mods and it worked fine ever since.

if I remember correctly, golf mk3 ones work as well.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I could do with some help with the same. I'm positive I need to replace the brushes in the blower motor (last year it was making noises, went intermittent, only worked when you whacked the bottom of the heater unit).

Now i've got the "shelf" dash rather than a glovebox. I've undone 6 star key screws, but can't get the dash off as it looks like the 2 parts are moulded together, anyone know how to get this off easily so I can see what's where?

Also, any advice as to where i'm looking for the motor on the heater unit?

Thanks in advance

J

Having just had mine replaced, you need to remove most of the lower dash and centre console to get to the blower properly.

If I were you I'd get a new/replacement blower as I tried fixing mine and it worked for around a week!

Having just had mine replaced, you need to remove most of the lower dash and centre console to get to the blower properly.

If I were you I'd get a new/replacement blower as I tried fixing mine and it worked for around a week!

:shades: Still working Jamie ?