Engine will not get up to temperature !

NorwegianLupo

:o Hmm.. It's getting cold here in Norway, but this has been a long term problem.

WHAT should be the normal working temperature for a 1l engine? The rather weak 49bhp one.... :(

It seems VERY VERY reluctant to even creep above the first to-three bars to on the water temp gauge...

faulty thermostat ?

sounds like the stat,

you cud always wip it out n wack it in hot water to see if its opening etc sounds like its stuck open alittle.sounds alitte like a vectra i had the othr mth,tickover it read sumin but wen driving the temp went rite down.turnd out to be abit of platic from the filler cap lid had fallen off and got stuck in the stat!! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds like the water pump impeller has worked its way loose from the shaft. Very common fault with all VW's. Change the 'stat and see if anything changes, if not the change the water pump and belts while your there.

Sounds like the water pump impeller has worked its way loose from the shaft. Very common fault with all VW's. Change the 'stat and see if anything changes, if not the change the water pump and belts while your there.

if the water pump impellers fallen off it does the oposite it tends to get hot as theres no follow not cold, :)

Just in relation to this, how long should you be expecting it to get up to full temp??

I tend to look down and see my temp gauge is not up to its max (about the middle) at the point where I'd expect the engine to be up to full temperature.

Are they generally a bit slow to get to full heat?

Just in relation to this, how long should you be expecting it to get up to full temp??

I tend to look down and see my temp gauge is not up to its max (about the middle) at the point where I'd expect the engine to be up to full temperature.

Are they generally a bit slow to get to full heat?

I depends on how hot you have heater set - the heater gets it's heat from the engine coolant so if you have it set to full whack then it takes longer for the coolant temperature to reach normal temp (approx 90C).