Zippy's GTI remap (or not...)

zippy

Lupo went in for remap today, the guys at the garage had a REALLY hard time of it, the rolling road had only been in for 6 days & there were recurrences of many teething problems that they thought had all been sorted...

Anyway, tonight my GTI sits at 131.8 BHP... dont stress folks - thats its standard figure! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> - full remap couldnt be done today as the fans at the rolling road kept tripping out.

Fair play to the lads, they persevered for ages, total of 11 1/2 hours (!!!) & they tried their best, but there were so many annoying little problems that their job was near impossible.

Car goes back in later next week, not expecting much, if any rise in peak BHP, but the mid range power & torque should be nicely increased.

Keep em peeled folks!

Where about was this zippy? The place in dyce, I thought that they had their road in for years or has it been replaced?

Well apparently mine's the 1st in the country to get a `re-map`... its a piggyback chip, which actually sits very neatly on top of the ECU, would never know it was there. Apparently even the VW diagnostics wont show it up.

Got it done at Wallace Performance at Bridge of Don, they just got a 4WD rolling road built.

With the fan cutting out, it was really hard for them to remap it - they did try, but power dropped all across the range, and peaked at 109 bhp!

So they just had to reload the base map, back to the standard figure (which I was petty happy with!).

There was a Doric Astra turbo driver there, thought it was a 2 litre Lupo cos it was getting over 130 hoss laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I know the cost is going to be hard to justify on paper, but I dont care if its more peak power, as long as it pulls more through the rev range.

As stated in another thread, ahem £350 +vat.

But I can get further remap after any mods like port & polish, & should make a real difference then.

Only pay like £60 for future remap.

The way I see it, I thought my car wasnt running as well as it could, but its putting out a very healthy figure! I guess I just got used to it.

There may be hardly any ncrease on paper, but theres a few flat spots & adjustments to the torque curve I can get sorted, drivability will certainly be improved & I will know its running as well as possible.

I was looking at chipping the diesel and getting another 30bhp but it is the extra 55lb/ft torque that is interesting me twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

Hope to see you tearing past me soon enough mate. :cry:

I might think about it after winter so it is done for the summer, got to pay off quite a few bills and got plenty of birthdays and weddings to keep me occupied until Christmas, but I am very very tempted to chip it.

Imagine the looks on faces as the lupo takes off up a hill biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Took the Lupo on a good drive last night & today - dunno if its the new base map they loaded to it, or the hard `high-rev` run on the rolling road clearing its throat, but its pulling like hell through the gears now!

A huge difference compared to before!

And its still gotta get fine tune remap! Coooooooooool!

• 5 weeks later...

Well, it drives ****loads better than before, more go at lower revs, more responsive, and even better mpg.

Might only be like a 4% bhp rise on paper, but that figure isinsignificant in comparison to the difference in drivability.

I could have bought an exhaust/induction kit & had it run like a bag of crap, at least now I know its running `spot-on`. tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

What can I say, I hate childish, `in-yer`-face 'mods'... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

QUOTE(zippy)
Well, it drives ****loads better than before, more go at lower revs, more responsive, and even better mpg.

Might only be like a 4% bhp rise on paper, but that figure isinsignificant in comparison to the difference in drivability.

I could have bought an exhaust/induction kit & had it run like a bag of crap, at least now I know its running `spot-on`.  :P

What can I say, I hate childish, `in-yer`-face 'mods'... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

LOL