HELP! door wont open from inside or out?

jasonlupo

went to my car last weekend tried opening the door

but the key just goes round and round and it wont unlock from inside or out?

been hoping over the passangers side and its gettin bloody anoying

plus vw say 58 quid jus to have a look!!!!

any ideas guys any help is much apreciated thanks

Right either the lock barrel is spinning in the mount or the barrel itself is shafted. Only way is to take your door card off to take a look. If you don't want to buy a new barrel you could switch it with the one from the passenger side but you'd need to swap the little arm on the back of the barrel (you'll see what I mean) as they are handed. Alternatively if you have central locking you could buy a remote central locking kit so you just press a button to unlock the doors

Right either the lock barrel is spinning in the mount or the barrel itself is shafted. Only way is to take your door card off to take a look. If you don't want to buy a new barrel you could switch it with the one from the passenger side but you'd need to swap the little arm on the back of the barrel (you'll see what I mean) as they are handed. Alternatively if you have central locking you could buy a remote central locking kit so you just press a button to unlock the doors

yeh i took the card off had a look but not sure what im doin hows does the barrel come out? and about havin a remte central locking fitted it still wont open when i press the lock/unlock door buttons on the drivers side so remote wouldent fix it

yeh i took the card off had a look but not sure what im doin hows does the barrel come out? and about havin a remte central locking fitted it still wont open when i press the lock/unlock door buttons on the drivers side so remote wouldent fix it

[/quote

open your door and if you look down the side around the level of the barrel you will see a black plastic cap pop that off, then unscrew the star head bolt but dont screw it all the way out just unscrew till it becomes stiff. Then the barrel will pull out, just to let you know when u have the barrel out or the bolt loose you cant open the door using the handel so open a window first, hope this helps.

this happened to my 1l the weekend i bought it in july. after about 2 months of climbing over from the passenger side i got a mate that works for vw to look at it.

if the key is spinning its probably the same thing and youll need a whole new lock.

we just swapped over the new barell and kept the same pin bit where the key actually goes in (not sure how to explain it) to save changing over all the locks.

cost about £50 for parts. easy enough to put together yourself, just take the whole lock out of the door from the outside, pop the back off, change the barell and put it back together.

It may be a broken bowden cable? or have you had the door handle apart recently? if the bowden cable is to tight it will not open as it thinks it is not shut properly. Like wise if the bowden cable is broken it wont open anyway.

The bowden cable is the small cable with a plastic bung on the end which clips into the end of the handle where the handle meets the lock housing. Pull the handle as if you are opening the door and have a look to see if you can see it? compare it to the passenger side to see the difference.

I can take a picture of it on saturday if you like?

The only way I can think you can get the lock out with out opening the door is to force the circular 'clamp' that holds the lock in around.

It is hard to explain but : if you open the passenger door and look at the door shut but on the actual door you will see a small torx head screw. this is the screw you use to take the lock out. it works by turning it but not removing it. as you turn the screw there is a half circle 'clamp' which rotates round the lock barrel.

The idea is you turn it to rotate the clamp enough to let the lock barrel get loose and come out.

If you can get to this you may be able to push the clamp round with out using the screw then take the lock barrel out and open the door?

I did this when mine was stripped out with no window seals and the window sitting at the bottom of the door though so dont know if it will be easy while all built up?

Hope this is some help?!

It's all a bit hard to write down :huh: