ICE system ideas

seems like an awfull lot of work...and does this mean i havent been clipping as iv had a 100amp fuse in and its not went will the current only go over 100amp when near to clipping?

depends if you value the safety of your gear, if something spikes then the audio is likly to take the brunt and fry, or worst case if you get a power short, how can a thin earth wire cope with the feed of a 0awg power cable = It cant, so cables heat up,

Ive seen fires caused by this and then the car has gone (this is worst case but over the years Iv watched 2 cars burn down through poor installations...)

What are you running off the amp? what ohmage? have you had the amp on a scope?

Edited by Icegeezer

What head unit is it?

I dont have a head unit yet either... so if anyone has any ideas?

im paying for it seperately so it wont come out of the £500

all this talk of awgs and amps ... sounds ruddy confusing

i think i need a huge lesson on ICE systems and how to fit them :blink:

start with something like this and you onto a winner...

if its more than u want to spend let me know and ill look again

This is an AWESOME unit, I used to have one

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alpine-cda9812rb-p-2193.html

B)

Edited by Icegeezer

Soundproofing/mounting is defenatly one of the things to concentrate on, another thing to remember is the Lupo speakers are wired to show an 8ohm load on the headunit amp.

rewire the speakers and 'Hey Presto!' double the amp power! lol

Any ideas how this is measured? Recently I was trying to figure out how the standard speakers are wired!

Am I right in thinking the standard mid is a 4 ohm driver?

The mids and tweets aren't wired in series, and wiring them in parallel would present a 2 ohm load to the amplifier. Or is there something I'm forgetting? :wacko:

P.S I also have the standard components active, with tweeters running off the H/U amp, and the mids of a separate amp. To me it sounded a lot clearer after going active :)

start with something like this and you onto a winner...

if its more than u want to spend let me know and ill look again

This is an AWESOME unit, I used to have one

B)

ok call me dumb,

but wheres this awesome unit?? :confused:

Any ideas how this is measured? Recently I was trying to figure out how the standard speakers are wired!

Am I right in thinking the standard mid is a 4 ohm driver?

The mids and tweets aren't wired in series, and wiring them in parallel would present a 2 ohm load to the amplifier. Or is there something I'm forgetting? :wacko:

P.S I also have the standard components active, with tweeters running off the H/U amp, and the mids of a separate amp. To me it sounded a lot clearer after going active :)

Ive not tested this yet..

get a decent multi meter on the case....

tke the reading at the back of the mid, tweet and then the unit,

your answers will be unlocked

:D

Thats exactly what me and a friend did, problem is I'll have to ask him what the readings were because I've forgotten! It wasn't 8 ohms though :blink:

I also wondered if the filter (capacitor) across the tweeter would affect it's impedance. More investigation required I think!

P.S. sorry for the hijack :blush:

It would be pretty easy to build an enclosure for that oval sub (12" wide wont fit across the width of the boot, but you'd get away with an inch less) the amp its self isnt very big, and it has the benifit of needing to be mounted vertically to help with cooling.

Most amps prefer to be mounted flat.

I got a 12", it fits.....just!

PICT2849.jpg

an alpine xtype 10 running at 2 ohm and have only just put it in a few days ago, the original wiring didnt seem to bad tbh when i had a look or is it just highly insulated...

if its running at 2 ohm it wont be running at full power, im sure this amp drops down to 1ohm, so you will be fine and with that 100amp fuse

Theres a reason why they can sell them so cheap!

Im in the belief that its better to buy something of a better quality and use it for years.

My sub is around 5 years old and is still not fully run in!

I agree...

you do get what you pay for...

and with this you just pay fro C**P....

sory to be blunt...

yeah it might go loud, but sound bloody aweful....

As Tigz said, ive still got 4 x 10" subs I use, nearly 8 years old now and they still out perform most of the SQ stuff available today...