Idle Adjustment on a 1.4 1998 Arosa

StuM

Hi All,

Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to adjust the idle on a 1998 1.4 MPI Auto Arosa? Ours ticks over VERY slowly which seems to result in it struggling when manoeuvring around slowly in gear. Put on the air-con and it stalls very easily.

Thanks,

Stu

Have you tried cleaning out the throttle body with carb/injection cleaner? usually the first thing to cause erratic idle/low idle and tendency to stall.

I cleaned mine the other day as it'd start almost not idling when cold, idles fine now.

try it.

Have you tried cleaning out the throttle body with carb/injection cleaner?

Cheers for this.

Yes, a couple of months ago I cleaned the throttle body out and ran some Wynns injector cleaner through in the fuel - and it did run better. At that time it was stalling easily when cold (even when in Neutral) and the cleaning sorted this out. Now it starts and runs fine, but put it in gear and move around with few/no revs and it stalls - a ballache when parking etc as being an auto means no balancing of throttle/clutch to avoid it! :angry:

It idle at 600-700rpm or so which is way slower than any other car I've owned...

Cheers,

Stu

Fair enough, one thing to try until it's properly sorted is to use your left foot for the brake and right for the accelerator when making parking /slow manouvres.

I have a Mk1 Golf auto with twin carbs on it, it idles very low and to give me more control i just keep my left foot on the brake, right on the gas then i can keep the revs steady. It'll drive itself. Try it.

Fair enough, one thing to try until it's properly sorted is to use your left foot for the brake and right for the accelerator when making parking /slow manouvres.

I have a Mk1 Golf auto with twin carbs on it, it idles very low and to give me more control i just keep my left foot on the brake, right on the gas then i can keep the revs steady. It'll drive itself. Try it.

Thanks - I've done this at times... would be wary of suggesting this technique to SWMBO though (it's her car) - as a novice driver I can imagine it might confuse matters in an expensive way! :lol:

I might give the wynns another go and have a look at the throttle body again, just in case.

Is the idle controlled from the ECU?

Cheers,

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeedy, been trying to teach the missus that as mines a little erratic sometimes.

I think that the ECU does control it, there is possible an AFM in the throttle housing as there isn't one elsewhere.

I know that my throttle housing is kaputt as there is no fast idle when cold, just dodgy idle til warm. constantly hunting between 500-800.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

• 2 months later...
Yes indeedy, been trying to teach the missus that as mines a little erratic sometimes.

I think that the ECU does control it, there is possible an AFM in the throttle housing as there isn't one elsewhere.

I know that my throttle housing is kaputt as there is no fast idle when cold, just dodgy idle til warm. constantly hunting between 500-800.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

Hi All,

An update...

Throttle body removed by garage as they thought that there was a good chance that the 'squirt carb cleaner in top' method wouldn't have got all gunk out and that the TB was the likely cause. It was totally clean. So... plugged into a code reader and it is throwing up an error code on the O2 sensor. Closer investigation shows that the O2 sensor is not the original one and is a non-VAG part. It has also been wired in badly. So, new O2 sensor on its way, so fingers crossed that sorts it out.

When the car idles, if extra load is placed (eg. power steering) the butterfly valve in the TB should open up to increase idle speed. My guess is that the O2 sensor fails to report this change in mixture correctly, and thus the mixture stays too lean - causing it to judder.

Theories are great, but let's see if it holds true!

Cheers

Stu

We have had 2 1.4 Mpi Arosas and although both manuals they both ticked over at about 600 revs and sounded like they had lumpy cams fitted :huh: , we were assured on both of them that this was normal with this engine and that the only way to adjust it was through Vagcom (its simply a standard adjustable setting when plugged in)

i didnt have it done as to be honest i just got used to it, can imagine it could be tricky with an auto unless driving as suggested above although it sounds quite risky unless your on the ball :lol:

wayne