Sky rocketing temp gauge

This morning in my journey to work everything was fine and dandy then after a few minutes on our local bypass i looked own and was greeted by a flashing temperature warning light and a gauge that was at the top.

pulled over and opened the bonnet, fan wasn't on, water pipes were quite hard, loosened the expansion tank cap and released a little of the pressure, meanwhile i put the blowers on full and this started to bring the temp back to 90.

Anyway thought this'd work so drove to ork with the sunroof open and passenger window down (drivers doesn't work) and heating on full, the temp occasionally rose a little over normal, only when the revs were over 4k so just cruised in to work.

What could be a likely fault people? Coolant sensor? Thermostat, might be this one though the temp would've still rocketed as it boiled away all the water in the block not levelled itself off.

The fan didn't come on so it leads me to to a failed sensor.

Cheers.

Edited by Tallika_Fan

hi mate not much help here but i have similar prob with my gti, the fan does not come on so after 10mins of sitting in heavy traffic, the temp raises right up,got a new thermostat but didnt solve the prob......let me know what the out come is for your car when you get it fixed

No worries matey, think i'm gonna go to VW in the morning and pick both a coolant sensor and thermostat up. Doin my head in going back and to to work with the heating on full. Gotta stick to 3k rpm too. Boo!