Squeaking Suspension

If I go over a speed bump, I get an extremely annoying squeak from the back on the passenger side. Anybody have any thoughts as to what this could be, i.e., bushes, suspension arms, etc. Or even better has anyone else had this?

Also, does anyone think this would be covered under warranty or would VW try to pass this off as normal wear and tear, which would be a load of bollox bearing in mind my Loop isn't 3 until October and has done about 22K miles.

The only fly in the ointment is the bloke who owned my Loop before me had coilovers fitted, then removed when he sold the car so I hope they didn't nause anything up. Though this squeak has only appeared recently so hopefully not.

Thoughts anyone?

umm l've got coilovers fitted and when l drive slow over bumps (5mph and less) l have a slight squeak from my passenger side rear. I assume this is a bush which is squeaking due to the low ride height. Its only minor and very occassional. Maybe your bushes are suffering the effects of having had coilovers fitted.

Chris

QUOTE(snoopstah)
I've also got a squeak from the passenger rear - happens when I go round corners (very) fast.

That'll probably be the involountary bowel movements (introduced by fear of fast driving) coming from the passenger... laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I had squeaky front suspension on my Passat, not quite sure what it was in the end but it took about £1,500 worth of work to fix. I didn't pay for it, the AA did - I'm sure it wasn't all necessary though.

Well it's bloody annoying and it wasn't there before.

Guess the best thing I can do is when I take the car to the stealers for it's MOT (before the warranty runs out) is have them take a look at it then, and if it's a new bush or something needs fitting then get it done at the `post-stealer` mechanic I'm going to use.

A small footnote is that my mate reckons most modern suspension is sealed and bushes can't be replaced, you have to change the entire unit. Hope this isn't true for the Loop. Anything on your CD about changing bushes Snoop?

You can definitely change the front bushes, as mine are being changed in a week or two to fix a clunk when reversing round a corner. All under warranty.

If VW don't know that the car has had coilovers fitted, then I don't think they have any reason to refuse to fix the problem under warranty - suspension isn't really a 'consumable' as such, so any problems in such a short period as 3 years will be covered by the warranty. I've had suspension noises on my Polo, Ibiza and Lupo all fixed under warranty without any hesitation.

Bear in mind that they're not the easiest thing to track down - the clunk that I speak of has so far required 7 visits to VW and approximately 1500 quid of parts/labour, and they still haven't figured it out - the bushes are the next thing they're trying, but there's no guarantees it's gonna fix it.

If you report it to them when the warranty is valid, you should be able to get it fixed even if they can't find the problem before the warranty expires.

I think that the 'Clunk' you have is actually common to Lupos - at least the GTi... I have it too, so does Clifford as I've spoken to him about it.

He has a theory as to what it is as well, although I can't quite remember what...

Mine does exactly the same mate ... sqeaky knock sound from passenger rear when driving (slowly) over speed bumps. Also happens if taking tight left hand corners that slope downwards, again at slow speedds (20mph ish).

http://forum.clublupo.co.uk/viewtopic.php?...=641&highlight=

I posted about it before ... VW had a look at it but couldnt find anything wrong.

Well, glad to know I'm not in the minority and it's a reasonably 'common' fault, but I'm fricking sure it didn't do it before (or maybe I just didn't notice).

Hmm, Snoop's 7 dealer visits don't sound too good do they. The useless git's would probably bust something else in the process!!

Will get it mentioned when I take it in next time though. You never know, Newton Abbot VW may have a mechanic who is the font of all Loop GTI knowledge *cough, cough*