Rumbly noise - like failed wheel bearings but not...

Does anyone have any opinions as to what could be making a kind of whub-whub-whub-whub noise at speed?

I thought it might be dodgy wheel bearings but have checked out the wheels and there's no loose 'play'..

All tyres are in good nick and the wheels are all correctly balanced as far as I'm aware..

Any ideas? Thankyou

Can you be sure its not the wheel bearings?

I had a similar problem, turned out to be badly worn tyres, they had distorted!. They were Firestone tyres, so they are what you have its probably them!

Ive heard a few other people say about these tyres, so be warned! Im meaning the Firestone Firehawk 700s not the later Firestone TZ200s, BTW :)

If not, im not sure!

Edit: Just noticed you have a GTI, so wont have those tyres ;)

Edited by cardaft

Can you be sure its not the wheel bearings?

I had a similar problem, turned out to be badly worn tyres, they had distorted!. They were Firestone tyres, so they are what you have its probably them!

Ive heard a few other people say about these tyres, so be warned! Im meaning the Firestone Firehawk 700s not the later Firestone TZ200s, BTW :)

If not, im not sure!

Edit: Just noticed you have a GTI, so wont have those tyres ;)

My Firestones make that same horrible noise, and they bounce when cornering. :blink:

Hate them, the tyres look like plastic and feel like it to, Federals here I come. :lol:

Just a completely 'off the wall' thought - could it be the brakes rubbing? I'm sure mine need to be looked at - they might need renewing as they're a bit rusted up - so they can stick a bit sometimes. Might explain the rubbing noise? Just a thought.

That's a good thought - but it's def not those - it's more of a deep rumbling, rather than a chafing noise.. it's now that I wish there was some way of piling us all into the back for a listen..

Is the noise coming from the rear of the car then? One side or both?

Have you checked there is nothing in your tyre tread?

Could be your driveshaft if it is coming from the front, if not im not sure.

You could try swapping your wheels front to back.

My Firestones make that same horrible noise, and they bounce when cornering. :blink:

Hate them, the tyres look like plastic and feel like it to, Federals here I come. :lol:

Not got any new tyres yet then!

Not got any new tyres yet then!

Nope...catalytic converter had to be done first.

I also need a new coil, air filter insert, new exhaust system, new tyres all around, new door strap, new central locking motor...

The list goes on as you may have already gathered. :(

This car really scratches my balls sometimes.

Is the noise coming from the rear of the car then? One side or both?

Sorry I didn't mean that literally - I was confusingly suggesting that everyone pile in the back for a listen because there's no room in the front - I'm driving after all.. Sorry to confuse the issue.

Swapping wheels front to back might be worth a go. It's really difficult to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.

In the meantime, is there any more painful a noise than kerbing your alloys? Managed it at the rear yesterday - AAAAARGGGH! :reallymad:

Edited by ludo

In the meantime, is there any more painful a noise than kerbing your alloys? Managed it at the rear yesterday - AAAAARGGGH! :reallymad:

:lol:

Erm no! I think we have all done it too :blush:

Although the worst bit is hearing the noise then having to persude yourself to look at the damage :lol: