mobile phone contracts

bjblyth

Hi, I have moved address about 3 times in the last 2 years so I can't get a mobile contract at the moment for some reason. probably because im not on the electoral role yet at my current address..

but anyway my question is to you fine people..

if a member of my family takes out a phone contract on my behalf can we change the direct debit to link to my bank account so it is my responsibility to pay the bill?

that would mean i could get a shiny new phone =)

As i work in a mobile phone shop i should be able to answer this for you.

If you choose to go direct and purchase from the network operator they will not take the direct debit from an account with a different name to that on the bill especially if the address does not match.

3rd party retailers like P4U and Carphone Warehouse are able to do it, however this was a few years ago when i worked their briefly. It is now more difficult to do this with the introduction as chip and pin as proofs, you would probably need to go down the manual proofs root which would be bankstatement (within the last 3 months)/drivers license and a debit/credit card.

What i will say is that over the last few years mobile networks have increased they credit score required to be able to take a contract, with not doing chip and pin your automatically 5 - 10% (depending on operator) less likely to pass, having a different payment name/address to that it is being registered in is much more likely to be considered fraudulent and less likely to pass.

One option is to get somone else to take and and set up a standing order into their account for 3 months (This is dependant on operator so check before purchasing). Then you can do a change of ownership, which requires a crdit check on your profile, so make sure you on electrol role and your credit profile is up to date with experian and equifax.

What i do highly recommend is go direct to the network stores to get correct information, even though 3rd party retailers offer good deals (cash/cheque back) they will often not honour it if you miss one payment or insturctions to get money back, CPW reapir service takes 2 weeks, whereas 3 mobile for example takes 24 hours.

If you need anymore information just ask.

i cant get credit because im not on the electoral role yet, so im pretty much untraceable! i'll register this weekend and then try for a contract in a few months. shame 'cause i really fancy the samsung f700 and its 25 a month at the mo but i just cant get it =(