Under dash cup holder and coin tray

Hey guys, the rattling from inside the coin tray/cup holder (under dash type) has been driving me crazy for a while now so yesterday i set about the task of sorting it and it seems to have worked i have done a few miles to day and no rattles so far. Also while i was there i thought id swap over the cup holder and coin tray as i always use the coin tray to hold my parking ticket but never use the cup holder. I thought id write this up incase any body else was thinking of attempting the same, its simple enough but here it is any way.

Before,

DSC02788.jpg

Firstly undo the 2 retaining screws underneath, these are t20 torx heads, and pull towards you to remove the hole unit.

DSC02789.jpg

If you are just wanting to just swap the units over then all you have to do is relese these 4 catches while applying pressure to the ends to slide out the tray and cupholder as shown below, but if you are wanting to get rid of the rattles then it may be easier to do this later.

DSC02790.jpg

If you apply pressure any where inside the tray it will creak this is because it is all made up of plastic components which touch each other, for this reason i decided to seperate all of the components and start again.

To do this i used a flat blade screw driver and heated it up on the cooker but a soldering iron would work the same id imagine, when the screw driver was red hot i carefully removed all of the melted plastic retaing the cage to the tray.

DSC02792.jpg

With the plastic removed i ran a stanley knife around them and with a little amount of force you can remove the cage from the tray.

DSC02793.jpg

I then removed the coin tray and cup holder and it easier to handle.

With everything seperated i used some craft felt (the stuff you used to make cards when you were younger) cut up into strips, and some super glue to stop the rattles. I stuck a thin srip on the tray where the cage makes contact in the centre (sorry no pic).

Then place the cage back into the tray and while applying pressure down, melt the plastic back in every place possible even where vw had'nt done before.

DSC02800.jpg

I then placed a large strip of felt to the cage where it may make contact with the dashboard.

DSC02801.jpg

Insert the cup holder and coin tray back in and stick 2 more pieces of felt where they may touch the dash.

DSC02802.jpg

I then placed a large strip of felt across the bottom of the tray where it touches the under dash pocket.

DSC02803.jpg

And then refit in the car.

DSC02807.jpg

DSC02804.jpg

Hope this is a help to some one.

have you noticed sinc you switched sides that the front panels dont lineup properly...

i found this and nticed that the front panels are different theyre left and right sided

Yes but only slightly, as you can se from the bottom picure.

This is exactly the problem I have with mine rattling! You have been a great help, am going to try it this weekend if I get chance, them rattles have been driving me mad, so much so that I was gonna rip the bloody tray off and leave it off! :furious::furious::furious:

no worrys mate glad i could have been of service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...