gearbox problems...

mk1_polo

:angry2: my car is an 02 reg 1.4 16v sport on 30k miles, first gear is occasionally hard to select smoothly, and reverse is a nightmare! almost impossible without making some nasty grinding noises! please dont tell me the box is on its way out, especially at this age and mileage!

It sounds like either your pedal box (check to see if the clutch pedal has dropped below the brake pedal) or could be that your gearbox is a bit ragged or the clutch could need adjusting/replacing!

Unfortunately not a good thing when gears are hard to select in Loops!

my clutch pedal is sitting considerably lower than the brake pedal, does this suggest that the clutch needs adjusting?

gearbox feels f*king awful now, feels like its been round the clock about three times :confused: ive got a 27 year old mk1 polo, the box feels smoother in that car! :angry2:

also the biting point seems very low, hardly have to release the clutch at all and it bites. the pedal creaks a little bit when its released - pedal box on its way out?

spent nearly 4k on a newish car so i could concentrate on mods rather than maintenance, then all this **** happens :rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant::rant:

Edited by mk1_polo

definately the pedal box mate if the clutch is lower than the brake pedal, sorry mate!

Ive just got my car back, just needed a new clutch cable fortunately, had the pedal box done last year, clutch is alot lighter than it was & gear change is also alot better!

Good Luck!

will Seat change this out of good will? im sure ive heard loads of people say that VW fixed pedal boxes on Lupos for free as its a well known weak spot, so im hoping that Seat will do the same as its essentially the same car!

*fingers crossed*

spoke to my local Seat dealer and they dont want to know. "we havent got any record of a recall and we dont think its a common problem".

rang Seat customer services - "sorry i'm not technically trained, ill transfer you to your local seat dealer".

great, very helpful.

ive spoken to dozens of people who have said vw fix this problem free of charge on the lupos as it happens to virtually every single car. the arosa is basically the same car, i cant believe the same policy doesnt apply. bunch of w*nkers

Had the same problem with my old 16v. I filled in a claim form at a dealer which they supposedly faxed to seat hq to try and get it repaired free of charge, no luck though. Don't think any Arosas have ever been fixed FOC...

• 3 weeks later...

If it helps, i had a similar problem recently and i needed a reconditiond gearbox as it was apparently "Shattered" inside, £680, I would never have payed that if i didnt get it dont cheap through work.

i had the work done, pedal box needed modifying. they fixed the original rather than replacing the whole thing, as it saved removing the steering column and saved me a few £££. still had to pay for it though, despite lupo owners getting the same work done for free!

Its a pity that Seat really dont want to know about the matter. I think this is a matter for watchdog...or bananaman but i think watchdog might be better. Something should really be done on it. Any ideas?