TDI induction kit? Anyone....

biggaz

Got one on the tdi?

How does it sound? Also what kit did you go for?

cheers gaz.

Seen some panel filters kicking around...

I've had a panel filter, great but sadly my Green cotton gave up the ghost and fell apart after a couple of washes.

But just ordered some parts to 'create' my own induction system, basically got some alloy piping, some silicon hose and a carbon shielded induction kit.

All in all hasn't cost much but hopefully I got all the measurements correct so it will fit nicely in the area where it won't suck up any hot air from the engine bay.

When i've done it i'll post pics, but don't expect to see some items till next week (as silicon hose coming from Hong Kong)

I've had a Green panel filter and a cold air feed attached to the box (yes butched by the last owner) and it sounded just a little 'boomier' when i blanked it off.

Only induction kit knocking around for the TDI's is one by Jetex, which is around £60 and is a filter that just connects to the MAF, so will suck hot air in as i know the engine bays in the TDI's get very hot.

Cheers mate, do you need a adaptor plate onto the maf or is there pipework after the MAF? Sorry never had a good luck at it.

Get some pics up when its done though yeh.

Ps is there also a vacuum pipe into the box? Seen summit i think lol. :)

No adaptor plate needed, i measured the round end of the MAF and its 70mm.

Well will confirm this if i've messed up on my parts ordering - lol

With the vacumm i'm in two minds as it will need to be connected to some sort of filtration so the solinoids don't get choked up with crud. Two options:

1) Plumb a small hose outlet in my alloy piping - neat and tidy option.

2) Use my Nitro R/C car filter on the end of it which will work ok as i've tested it.

But just awaiting the goods to arrive. Basically i'm using a large E-Tech carbon canister sheilded induction filter that will point down where the original cold air feeds are. But removing the foam in the inner wing and old air box structure will allow the cold air from the wing and front to enter, and due to the filter being shielded none of the hot air can get in.

Total cost so far is £35, but i'm allowing another £15 for jubilee clips, vacumm plumbing and some form of bracket to support the induction.

Pipercross filter fits directly onto the MAF and the pipe for the N75 valve feed can just tuck under the foam, cheap as chips. A cold air feed is a must though as you do notice a drop in response on a hot day with it (BTW You can have it for £15 if you want ;) )

DSC00248.jpg

Ahh cheers mate, id take it straight away but ive got two lying around here.lol

So there must be a round outlet coming from the MAF then, i thought it was just bolted flat o the airbox thats why i mentioned about adaptor.

cheers gaz.

BTW any noise? Shame you cant get any spooling up noises :lol:

Induction kit and alloy pipe arrived today look schweet! :shades:

Air filter is E-Tech (carbon) but is actually made by 'Simota' so not too bad afterall.

Just waiting for:

Vacum pipe connector (to connect vacum hose to filter pipe)

Air filter brackets

Silicon Hose

Juiliee Clips

Then thats it.

Total damage is pretty much exactely £45 including post/packaging to my door. Will have it fitted by next weekend hopefully so pics will be up then, and if all working well will give people the whole price list and where to shop for the items as this took me a while to get the best price vs best items.

Edited by g-man85

• 2 weeks later...

Put mine on (tempoarily) with the cone, so no heat shield yet.

Got the vacum connected using an old R/C nitro fiter.

Noise? LOUD AS FECK! lol Sounds so boomy, in the car all i can hear is 'woooooosh' from the sucking of the turbo under boost - lol

Sounds so loud, I think my exhaust note has gone one louder too. Its so loud, but hopefully once I get my alloy piping on to driect the filter into the lower wing and some form of heatsield that will reduce the noise a little bit in the cabin since the filter is right up near the dash.

• 1 month later...
Put mine on (tempoarily) with the cone, so no heat shield yet.

Got the vacum connected using an old R/C nitro fiter.

Noise? LOUD AS FECK! lol Sounds so boomy, in the car all i can hear is 'woooooosh' from the sucking of the turbo under boost - lol

Sounds so loud, I think my exhaust note has gone one louder too. Its so loud, but hopefully once I get my alloy piping on to driect the filter into the lower wing and some form of heatsield that will reduce the noise a little bit in the cabin since the filter is right up near the dash.

Have you got any pics mate? sounds perfect job well done!

Pic isn't anything special; just imagine a plain induction kit cone on the end. I couldn't fit the cold air feed on the car as the casing is too big. Its a Simota carbon universal filter but i took the casing off to fit but so far it seems to be working fine as its really easy to clean unlike a panel filter I had previously.

nfbr; I haven't noticed any drop in power though I'd take a guess as the days get warmer the car won't be gaining any power from the heat soak and hot air without creating some kind of heatshield or cold air feed. But in honesty there's no increase in power either, just slight better engine response really. Also mpg still seems fine, got 50mpg from a fully laden car over 350miles. I know Carter's car wasn't the healthiest of TDI's with it pretty much blowing up on next owner, but 10hp would be noticeable so wouldn't suprise me if the oil soaked K&N killed the MAF either which can kill power and fuel consumption.

I think the thing I'm dubious about is that the solenoid requires to see how much vacuum is in the airbox so that it can regulate the boost correctly. Surely stabbing the vacuum feed into an open cone filter isn't quite going to give the same readings as it being in an airbox?

I duno. Maybe I'm completely wrong, But I really don't see wise the idea of Open cone filters on TDI's, But I will do a little more research on this at work tomorrow and see what general thoughts are about them.

I know my boost readings still appear the same but without using VAG COM readings I can't confirm, as just going off by my boost gauge.

Open cone filters are ok, on mine hasn't made a massive difference, just more noise. Over the Green cotton filter i can't say much difference but i have noticed some over a bog standard halfords paper filter which felt restrictive.

just got a bmc universal enclosed kit going to try and fit it today will let you no how it gose :confused:

You got any additional pipe work? I nearly got one but i measured it up and i thought it wouldn't fit as there's no space to fit the cold air feed pipe as the end alone will be touching the headlamps.

You got any additional pipe work? I nearly got one but i measured it up and i thought it wouldn't fit as there's no space to fit the cold air feed pipe as the end alone will be touching the headlamps.

yea got cold air feed for it just going to have a play about with it see if i can sort something not sure yet tho :confused:

will post pics up if i manage

yea got cold air feed for it just going to have a play about with it see if i can sort something not sure yet tho :confused:

will post pics up if i manage

EPIC FAIL :lol:

For everyone else's info, it didn't fit.