After market HID kits - using a relay

Just read about HID kits may have some kind of flickering, and in that case you need to use a power cable from the battery direct with a relay.

However before buying a kit and fitting it without realising i need the relay cable, can anyone confirm if the Lupo/Arosa's are fine running on the power supply they get?

Just read about HID kits may have some kind of flickering, and in that case you need to use a power cable from the battery direct with a relay.

However before buying a kit and fitting it without realising i need the relay cable, can anyone confirm if the Lupo/Arosa's are fine running on the power supply they get?

Wandered this also was looking at a kit on Autobulbs!

Well making a relay kit is not much cheaper than buying some from Ebay for around £10 delivered, but as its overseas not wanting to fit them and find problems, then wait longer for the harness.

Plus not wanting to fit HID's without the relay harness as rather have fully operational lights.

Again being a TDI driver, i don't know if the TDI has a slightly different alternator output than a petrol model would have?

Well making a relay kit is not much cheaper than buying some from Ebay for around £10 delivered, but as its overseas not wanting to fit them and find problems, then wait longer for the harness.

Plus not wanting to fit HID's without the relay harness as rather have fully operational lights.

Again being a TDI driver, i don't know if the TDI has a slightly different alternator output than a petrol model would have?

TDi's should have a larger output alternator but that makes no difference.

The problem is the size of the wire to the original headlights determines how much current can flow down it to power the lights.

This wire is protected by a fuse, a larger value fuse shouldn't be used as this can allow excess current to flow. (Wire gets hot.)

Whenever I've done any testing with HID lights before I have found that they use less current that a conventional halogen lamp so

an extra relay wouldn't be needed. This has only been in comparison to their halogen equivalents.

I Can't say this applies to aftermarket kits though, your best bet is to speak to someone who has fitted them to a car similar to yours.

Thought about the potential MOT problems that an aftermarket HID kit can bring too?

Well bought the kit tonight; as for MOT time i'll just pop the harness off and pop the original lights back in.

Just a matter of swapping wires round and putting the old bulbs back in :)

Hopefully end of the month should see my car with HID's and an induction kit :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well bought the kit tonight; as for MOT time i'll just pop the harness off and pop the original lights back in.

Just a matter of swapping wires round and putting the old bulbs back in :)

Hopefully end of the month should see my car with HID's and an induction kit :)

Got hids in mine, all fine and dandy...straight fit.

I bought some X5 HID 9000k bout 3-4 years ago now and fitted them on my Corsa SRI 1.8 with the Facelift Projectors. Worked really nice. Passed MOTS with them too. Make sure you have them alligned correctly tho.

Problem is you dont have the auto-level adjusting system on the suspension which then makes these not road legal. so be careful and perhaps level your beams lower. as to be honest HIDs light up the road real nice. so it wont make much difference to aim them a little low to not blind oncoming traffic.

On the Corsa i never had to use a relay, they were H7 bulbs, might be different tho.

My Biggest Regret was getting the 9000k they are Violet/Blue. Get the WHITEST as possible, blue light is the worst light colour against the Dark IMHO.

all my info was from my findings back then, not sure on the law and stuff nowadays.

Edited by Lupo*

Right got them fitted. THey cost £39 delievered from Hong Kong.

Mine have been mounted well using the headlamp unit bolts on the car, so nice and sturdy. When I first put them in they were pointing really down so ended up adjusting them slightly up but they are still at a lower level than normal so they don't dazzle anyone.

I didn't need a relay in the end, i get no flickering.

Results: Clear white light however I as much as it is really bright, the focus isn't great and I think the actuall distance of light projected is poorer than normal headlamps but the near'sight light is brilliant. :) overal, happy days!

Right got them fitted. THey cost £39 delievered from Hong Kong.

Mine have been mounted well using the headlamp unit bolts on the car, so nice and sturdy. When I first put them in they were pointing really down so ended up adjusting them slightly up but they are still at a lower level than normal so they don't dazzle anyone.

I didn't need a relay in the end, i get no flickering.

Results: Clear white light however I as much as it is really bright, the focus isn't great and I think the actuall distance of light projected is poorer than normal headlamps but the near'sight light is brilliant. :) overal, happy days!

Really :wacko:

Mine go MUCH MUCH further than normal lights and focus perfect? Mine wern't from Hong kong, wonder if there not as good a kit?

Heres a pic but hard to tell how good they are on here, mines a 6oook kit. Beams lower than normal here to as i was messing.

hidbeam.jpg

H4 bulbs use a relay for high/low dipping, ours are H7's with seperate bulbs for high beam so are simpler. Had the H4's on the Jetta, worked perfectly.

• 2 weeks later...

where you get this hid kit from i was going order one off of www.wizardperformance.co.uk.Do they fail on mot with these fitted?where you get this hid kit from i was going order one off of www.wizardperformance.co.uk.Do they fail on mot with these fitted?

If it was me, Id use an empty GTI lamp, and use this kit.

Would cost an extra couple of hundred quid but would look so much better, and wouldnt be illigal.

Would look cool in gti lamps :)

The legal part? What makes them more legal because there projector lamps? I thought it would be the kit that was illegal not the headlamp?

Some cars with standard xenon lamps arnt projector stlye, tis confusing :)