My TDi is starting to shudder :(

BazzaK

Hi there I'm new here.... you guys have a great forum here.... I've fallen in love with my Lupo again.

Ok I have a1.4 TDi Sport.. and done about 64,000 miles... Its had its cam belt changed... and a full service history....

its started to shudder.. especialy in 4th gear... and between 50-60 mph.

Any ideas?

Cheers dudes.

When you say shudder, the whole car, the steering wheel?

I had that problem in another car where the shuddering only became apparent at higher speeds - turned out I had a rear wheel out of balance.

Hi, its fine when i take off, no after market alloys..

Its just mid 3rd gear and early 4th gear... and when im around 50mph...

i'm not all that clued up, mechanically, but wondered if the engine mount/bracket may have come loose?.... queue laughter from the back row :) maybe a stupid suggestion.. I dunno...

I would suggest getting the wheels balanced any way, particularly the rear ones if the whole car shakes. Rear wheel misbalances typically manifest at high speeds, and would cause no pulling at all.

Take it to garage, my local checks for free and charges £5 for each wheel they have to balance. Worst case scenario £25 (or if there's no spare £20) and it feels much better.

When I bought 32" retreads for my Defender one wheel was 500g out on one side! I reckon I used more than £25 in lead weights :D

I would suggest getting the wheels balanced any way, particularly the rear ones if the whole car shakes. Rear wheel misbalances typically manifest at high speeds, and would cause no pulling at all.

Take it to garage, my local checks for free and charges £5 for each wheel they have to balance. Worst case scenario £25 (or if there's no spare £20) and it feels much better.

When I bought 32" retreads for my Defender one wheel was 500g out on one side! I reckon I used more than £25 in lead weights :D

Cheers tom will do that...

Does the car shudder when you turn off the engine?

My car used to do that when i got it, when i got the cambelt changed 2K later the garage found my engine mounts were loose! So could be your engine mounts.

Does the car shudder when you turn off the engine?

My car used to do that when i got it, when i got the cambelt changed 2K later the garage found my engine mounts were loose! So could be your engine mounts.

No it doesn't shudder when the engines off.. or when im in neutral... only when im accelerating around the 40-60 mph..

i thought it may be the engine... when i coast it stops...

Cheers for your suggestions..

By coast do you mean in or out of gear? Clutch engauged?

It may be the clutch if it stops when you disengage it, but it might also be a uj on a driveshaft. Give them a wiggle there should be no play, especially no clunks.