Rev counter / tachometer problems

TomLS

When I got in my Lupo this morning all was fine and the counter worked as it should, but when I got in it later on and drove it, stopped at a mates for about 1 minute and then re-started the engine, I got about 300 yds before I looked at the speedo and it told me I was doing 5000rpm up a hill. I know this wasn't right for the gear I was in so I muted the radio (suspecting a slipping clutch), and the engine didn't sound anywhere near 5000rpm.

When I stoped at the lights, the engine idle sounded the same as always yet the gauge showed just over 2000rpm.

The car drives totally normally, and when I stopped the engine, the needle will only settle as far as 2000rpm.

Has this happened to anyone else?!

Cheers

Tom.

Edited by TomLS

In case anyone cares, the problem seemed to resolve itself in about 3 days. Every time I went to the car the neede was sat just a little lower on the scale, untill a couple of days ago it was sat neatly back at zero. Champion.

In the meantime I found a thread from someone on another forum saying that he just removed the plastic cover and pushed it back with his finger and had no problems since. For now it's sorted, but I hope it doesn't happen again!

• 1 year later...

Hi

I've just noticed that today it happened to me as well... Even after the engine is switched off the rev gauge shows around 1000 revs...

Has this happened again to you or was it just a one off thing?

Regards!

Just a common intermittent fault i think, just try to ignore it when it happens (not very often with me) and it will soon sort itself out, nothing you can change without changing the whole clocks which i think is just a bit OTT to be honest!!! :D

Edited by s2000king

OK, than. I'll try to live with it... hahaha Being honest with you I didn't expect this kind of fault in VW... I have this car for a week now and it's the first thing which is (hmmm how to say) not MINT hehehehe The car is W reg... with 95k on the clock, but looks and drives as new. :-) Hope it stays like that! :-)

Once again many thanks for your reply.

Cheers, MickB

OK, so after two short journeys today the rev gauge is back to normal! I guess it's just one of those little things I have to get use to live with... ;-)

Cheers, MickB

Edited by MickB

my old lupo did this once i just took the clocks out (took around 5mins) unpluged it left it a min then reconnected everything and it didn't happen again. quicker than waiting a few days.

matt

My old Lupo used to do this, I used to switch the ignition to the postion where the electrics come on but the engine doesn't, the needle would jump then fall slightly, then if you wait and repeat a couple of times it will eventually resettle at zero.

I mentioned it when it went for service but as it was't doing it at the time they couldn't find a fault.

:lol:

Haha

That's funny, cause I've got mine since... 31 Oct'09 ... so for 12 days and as you can see it has already happened :rolleyes::lol:

Nevertheless, I'll follow your advice and I will not worry about it! B)

I guess that the most important thing is that the car seems to be VERY nippy for 75 bhp and puts a big smile on my face!

I think yours does exactly the same thing!

Cheers,

MickB

Edited by MickB

Wicked mate, its all part of the fun!!!! :D

Enjoying the Lupo was great, but has now sadly been sold to fund a Polo instead, which i feel is slightly better in practicallity, but nothing will ever put a smile on my face as much as the Lupo did, even if it was a 1 litre!!! :P

Cheers, James.

Hi James,

Lupo is a big car for me now, because looking back two weeks ago I only have a motorcycle hahahaha, so storage space is just amazing now (full Tesco trolley - not a problem! :lol: )- yet still car fits into the smallest parking spaces - which I love! Nowhere near the bike but good for a car!

On the other hand it's not my first small car, cause I had a Cinquecento for six years hmmm... 7 years ago. But Lupo feels more like a car from a higher segment. It's more like a little Golf rather than bigger Fiat. And I have to say - I like it a lot.

We've bought this car for my wife to learn to drive - personnaly now I'm more motorcycle fan than anything else. But again... the car is perfect for what it is. I bought it in Birmingham and the journey back to London was a pure pleasure. Doing 80 mph + - not a problem. But the real playground for this car is the city - and this is wher it will be used. I also was really surprised with the quality of interior - it looks as new - but this i a 9 years old car! Good job VW!

OK, if I may just ask you a question... how to use this avatar thing... I wanted to put a small image of my green giant :D in the place you have your blue car, but how can I upload this picture from my PC to lupo club... I don't get it :wacko::confused: . I would appreciate your help... I think I'm getting too old for some of the internet issues... :D

Have a nice day!

Cheers,

MickB

Haha, well i am glad you are liking your Lupo as much as i did!!! Treat it well and it will look after you very nicely and comfortably as well! :D

In answer to you question, you need to make an account on photobucket or similar (mainly a site you can upload images). When that is done then you can take an image from your PC and upload it to photobucket (follow the links on the site, doesn't take very long with a good internet connection)then once this is done go back to the albums tab and click on the album with the pic you want in it. Then when you put the mouse over the image it should give you a list of links to copy and paste. You need the "Image:" link. Copy that link. Then on ClubLupo go to your profile and then in the top right hand side should be profile settings or something and then go to change avatar and paste the link into the box on that page.

The avatar need to be a certain size, which you can change on photobucket via the edit image button and change the size of it and it will put a copy of the smaller image in the same album. An avatar needs to 90 pixels x 90 pixels.

Hope this helps!!!! :P

James.

Ps. Pea green is always the best for a Lupo!!!!! :D

Edited by s2000king