Shoes On a TDi

I think my rear shoes need replacing. Starting to get a growling noise like metal on metal at the rear and I've never changed them. Car has now done 50K. I've got 4 possible Ferrodo part numbers for the shoes all listed for the 1.4TDi. I think the first number is for ABS.

FSB408 - FSB191 - FSB622 - FDB1083

Does anyone know for certain which ones I require? Also how much of a job is it to change them. I did my Cinquecento sporting ones once and vowed never again.

I'm also going to do the pads at the same time although I have done these before and it was a doddle. However at the time the 1.4TDi wasn't listed in books but after a lot of faffing I found Ferrodo FDB775 did fit. Now however there are listings and they say I need either

FDB1517 or FDB1312

Could just be a build up of dust in the rear drums, ive had that before.

Just take them off, give the shoes and drums a good sanding with sandpaper and put them back on.

My TDi has done 47,500 miles and the rear shoes are fine, loads left on them.

I had a problem getting discs and pads for the front of mine too, polo MK4 TDi ones are the same and usually listed with motorfactors.

i know a lupo 1.4 16v with 102k on the clock running the original shoes since it came off the assembly line, :P

although the idiot thought that lubing them up would help :s so i had to stip them down and give a thourough clean

and a little roughing with some sand paper.... :)

I doubt you need new shoes as i said above, they last and last since they dont really do all that much.

Just give them a clean up and they will be as good as new.

Its a common problem for them to start making noises when they get ful with dust or rust.

I doubt you need new shoes as i said above, they last and last since they dont really do all that much.

Just give them a clean up and they will be as good as new.

Its a common problem for them to start making noises when they get ful with dust or rust.

tut i don't know ... try and help people out :lol:

Well I took the rear NS wheel off and took the drum off. The shoes look NEW I mean brand spanking. If I hadn't had the car for the past 23k I'd have said they'd just been changed. So left them on. Gave it a blow out with some air. No signs of problems so it could have just been a stone. Also left the pads as upon closer inspection they still have over 5k left on em

Ah i thought they would be :)

Did you just give them a clean up and put them back together?

Ive just had my front pads out today, had a sticky brake since the pads were fitted 4K ago, so thought id investigate. All seems to be fine now after i cleaned up the pads and took some of the rust off the calipers.

Front pads last around 40-50K usually, obviously it depends on how its been driven, how you drive it, what brand pads it has and what condition the discs are in.

I replaced mine at 44K along with the discs, one pad was just down to the metal ;)

Edited by cardaft

• 2 weeks later...

Just replaced the wife's front discs & pads at 51k. Pads were very low, not quite at the metal though & the discs were almost at their limit. Ready for fresh fluid in the next service.

Easy calipers to work on, very simple.

Pedal travel halved now :D