amp fuse

i did my boot install this weekend...

unfortunately i could not find a nice place to put the fuse in the engine bay (near the battery) so its temporarily in the boot... ( i no this is not cool but i though better a fuse than no fuse!)

i searched this section to find one suggestion of putting it on the bracket underneath the coolant reservoir. is this the best place?

could some one please put a pic up so i can see how its been done and how it looks?

Cheers Mitch

mate, put one next to the battery straight away.

No more than 12" from the battery.

Just table tie it to the other wiring untill you find somewhere to correctly mount it.

Its not safe as it is.

ive re done it- it only took a few mins- ive cable tied it (securly) to a hole under the coolant. It was ready to be changed...

why is it so unsafe to have a fuse far away from the battey- surely the main reanson the fuse would be needed is protect the car battery if the amp malfunctioned? or if the cabel was torn in some way...

but is there another reason?

picstures please!!

cheers

i understand its to protect people and the car! (but that would come from the battery- i didnt word it very well!)

what i dont understand is why it needs to be so close to the battery because the thing that i could imagine going wrong once its all installed is the amp but if that was the case you could put a fuse near the amp...

is it in case the power cable gets damaged?

Mitch

i understand its to protect people and the car! (but that would come from the battery- i didnt word it very well!)

what i dont understand is why it needs to be so close to the battery because the thing that i could imagine going wrong once its all installed is the amp but if that was the case you could put a fuse near the amp...

is it in case the power cable gets damaged?

Mitch

If the power cable gets damaged/comes loose/touches the metal of the car for any reason then it will get very hot and set on fire. With a fuse installed, only the cable after the fuse will be protected, and the bit still connected to the battery will still get very hot etc. So if the fuse is in the boot it is pretty pointless having it as it isnt protecting much.

Amps nearly always have there own fuses to protect themselves if things go wrong.

can people please tell me where they have mounted their fuses please

Cheers, Mitch

On my pug it's about 2 inches from where we tapped into the ignition feed, single inline fuse. Can't remember what rating it is, cos it was installed about 5 1/2 years ago...