Engine oil overfill?!?! URGENT~~

smallredlupo

Hi,

I had my engine oil changed today but when I came back home and checked the oil level on the dipstick.

Oh my god!! The oil level was way over the max mark. The garage must've poured the whole 4 litres of oil in!!

There wasn't any smoke coming out of exhaust when I was driving home - maybe cus it was a very short trip (less than half a mile).

I need to pick up someone tonight, should I continue to drive the car - even though it's just a 5 mile journey?

Or should I bring it back to the garage first thing next morning?

I'm kinda thinking of drain some oil out myself - but don't know quite how to do it and where the drain plug is.

Can anyone help, please???

Many many thanks~

lupogirl

Edited by smallredlupo

Well i dont think there is any other way than to empty all of the oil.

So you best take it back to the garage, and never go there again, sounds like they dont know what they are doing!

I wouldnt drive it really, it can do damage if there is too much in.

If the oil is very overfilled there is a chance of increased oil pressure and blowing an oil seal. To be honest this is quite unlikely but I would still take some oil out if it is very overfilled (to quantify "very" lets say half the difference between min and max over the max mark).

Sump drain plug is at the back of the sump towards the drivers side slightly.

Usuaully when you remove the sump plug you fit a new one as they have a soft washer on them that deforms to create the seal on the sump. This deformation is a once only operation and sometimes if used more than once the sump plug can leak. You probably wont take the plug all the way out, more like just loosen it to allow some oil to trickle past it so you will have to retain the same plug. Remember if you take the plug all the way out its bloody hard to get it back in quickly when the oil starts pouring out.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

You probably wont take the plug all the way out, more like just loosen it to allow some oil to trickle past it so you will have to retain the same plug.

Hmm didnt think of that blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Oh no... it looks like I'll have to tuck the car in for the night...

let's say, if I bring it back to the garage and they empty the oil... can I pour it back and re-use the oil that's just drained?

After the oil change, the car ran less than a mile.

So, throwing away brand new Castrol costing 40 quid is like killing me...

Many thanks again...

heartbroken lupogirl...

I can't see why you can't use the oil again?

I know there is devices that you feed down the distick tube and allows you to pump oil out that way.. but I only saw them in one of those stoopid aeroplane magazines lol.

Anyway, this was yesterday.. result?!

Thanks, everyone, for answering my questions.

I brough the car back to the garage and they drained the excessive oil out.

BUT, they topped it up with semi-synthetic 10-40w to get to the correct oil level.

I had them put in Castrol Edge Sport 0-40w...

I presume these two can mix fine?

lupogirl...

I can't see why you can't use the oil again?

I know there is devices that you feed down the distick tube and allows you to pump oil out that way.. but I only saw them in one of those stoopid aeroplane magazines lol.

Anyway, this was yesterday.. result?!

Edited by smallredlupo

There shouldnt be too much of a problem providing only a bit was used.

Although if i were you id find another place to service my car in future, they sound rubbish wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />