Tyres...

Needed 2 new tyres on the front of the GTi, so went to all the normal places, blah... blah... blah...

I decided to drop to 195's as, has been said a billiontrillionzilllion times before, they are more available and one has more choice.

So I ended up on MyTyres looking at Dunlops SP2040 (stop moaning: I like Dunlops!) £48.70 with a £15+VAT fitting/balance/diposal fee = £67 per tyre inclusive.

Before I completed my purchase I thought "I'm a newbie to this online tyre buying thang, so I think I'll call the fitting centre." Way and behold, it's the garage who's been servicing my cars for the last 4 years.

So I phoned the nice lady and she asked what price I was paying and said she would supply the same tyre for £60.** inclusive.

Tyres came today, got fitted at lunch. Hey ho! Jobs a good 'un!!!

She also advised while I was waiting, that it's amazing how many tyres MyTyres seem to sell which have a long delivery time. Some people have had a 6 week wait for tyres from MyTyre.

So the moral of the story is "before you click the purchase button, give your local fitting centre a call. You may be surprised what they can do for you."

R

who quoted you £15+vat fitting? is having a laugh. should be half that or less. i always find mytyres cheapest for tyres, havent ever had them taken long to arrive and you can take the tyres to any local independent tyre fitters. i pay £7 per tyre fitting/balance/valves/disposal.

also wonder why you chose 195 because there is more choice when you chose a dunlop, which is on the 205/45 size anyway lol.

you local fitting centre probably ordered them from mytyres aswell (and charged a £12 fitting fee) which still gives them a decent profit. £48 for 10 mins work.

Edited by qually

I'm still relucant to recommend mytyres. They are cheap but God forbid if you have a problem with them. Eventually they stopped correspodning with me and - somehow by magic - a set of tyres did eventually turn up but only after my credit card company started putting pressure on them. Ordered 2 May - arrived last week. Not exactly stunning service.

Deek.

who quoted you £15+vat fitting? is having a laugh. should be half that or less. i always find mytyres cheapest for tyres, havent ever had them taken long to arrive and you can take the tyres to any local independent tyre fitters. i pay £7 per tyre fitting/balance/valves/disposal.

also wonder why you chose 195 because there is more choice when you chose a dunlop, which is on the 205/45 size anyway lol.

you local fitting centre probably ordered them from mytyres aswell (and charged a £12 fitting fee) which still gives them a decent profit. £48 for 10 mins work.

Still cheaper than MyTyres! I agree witht the Dunlop 195/205 choice thing I couldn't actually believe it myself, but the 205's were 'mucho moro' and not in stock. Toyos common as muck and nobody likes them in the rain, of which we get plenty.

I also got a garage that I trust [*cough] with my cars. And sat and watched the guy fit my tyres.

Price for fitting: You live in Yes land where I live in Perth and residing in a desireable place to live has it's cost!

I'm glad your happy for me anyhow!

Ray

Sounds like me. I pop onto black circles, get a price, get their local fitters, do a yell search to match addresses, then phone up the places direct. I saved some friends quite a bit doing that on tyres for their cars down south

i think the lesson is not to use mytyres fitting option. i bet you your garage didnt supply those dunlops tyres for 1 penny cheaper than mytres would have done.

they can supply a lot of tyres cheaper than official uk trade distributors buy them for, for certain brands, including toyo.

Edited by qually

good job you posted that...

tomorow i was gunna order some 195/45/14 yokos and was just gunna buy from mytyres, £44 i think they are, not fitted etc

Check the BlackCircles.co.uk prices and call their fitters also.

Ray

Edited to say: Sorry Black Circles already mentioned by RobG up there /\

Edited by Silver!

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> £118 fitted on there... mytyres is much cheaper, but il probs give a few tyre centres a ring tomorow smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

cheers for your help though mate