best way of improving cardiovascularly ??

you realise this is the police you are trying to get into?

the fitness test is a piece of piss.

i'm assuming that you are training for the bleep test. the pass level in the met police is around level 4.1 which isn't even a constant run. when i joined it was level 8 and then they changed it shortly afterwards as too many people were failing. they also have a grip test, a push and pull test, and an agility test. the grip test and push and pull test are very easy because they have to have the same pass mark for men and women, and we all know women are weak. the agility test was removed for some reason and they don't do that anymore.

it seriously amazed me how there were people practically dying on the floor after doing the bleep test up to level 8, especially when the application process into the met police took me 15 months altogether, so you have more than enough advance notice to improve your fitness.

up here i think they may of dropped the bleep test and they have a mile and a half run in 15 mins ( not to bad i know but considering i cant remember the last time i ran )

Be careful if you try spinning as the bikes are fixed wheel with 14KG (I think) flywheel and you can't stop pedalling. You may want to but the bike says "no"!

...and the bike wins!

Ray

The resistance dial is the brake surely an instructor told you that. Simply press down on it and the wheel comes to a stop.

If you guys like road riding I'd of thought you'd of lapped spinning up.

The resistance dial is the brake surely an instructor told you that. Simply press down on it and the wheel comes to a stop.

If you guys like road riding I'd of thought you'd of lapped spinning up.

Yeah the instructor did, but on a road bike you can stop pedalling and coast. It's a hard habit to break after 40 years!

Ray wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Oh yeah, I finally got round to asking the mother - she reccomends sticking to swimming and upper body excecises until your knee is better, then slowly start to do some other non-impact stuff like cycling (with a properly fitting bike!) tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Edited by lunalupi

yeah , i need to strip down and rebuild the other bike thats sitting there and then get used to riding on the narrow 2.1 tyres laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ive been wanting to go swimming the last few days but its been raining and its a school holiday which means the sport centres will be packed sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> , oh well the schools go back on tuesday

Craig,

Get a bike that won't bust your knees (yes, a gay one with the saddle up) and spin round glentress or something every sunday. Fun and good for you.

Circuits are very good as others have suggested.

Skipping (no laughing at the back) is awesome also, but can be hard to get in the way of doing.

Swimming is good as it keeps all the weight off your joints, but still exercises many muscle groups. But you may also need to pick out some suitable trunks laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Good luck, I intend to start training again (dunno what for, just feel unfit just now) after these wretched exams have passed.

Matt.

Craig,

Get a bike that won't bust your knees (yes, a gay one with the saddle up) and spin round glentress or something every sunday. Fun and good for you.

Circuits are very good as others have suggested.

Skipping (no laughing at the back) is awesome also, but can be hard to get in the way of doing.

Swimming is good as it keeps all the weight off your joints, but still exercises many muscle groups. But you may also need to pick out some suitable trunks laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Good luck, I intend to start training again (dunno what for, just feel unfit just now) after these wretched exams have passed.

Matt.

ps, light wheels and tyres make all the difference to a bike you need to pedal over a distance - 2.1s will feel rapid compared to what you are used to.

(sorry about the double post, silly lack of looking at what i am pressing)

Edited by RS2quattro