Tweeter going off when turned up loud

When I turn my music up loud, sometimes after time, my left tweeter will go off. You can notice it as soon as it goes off. Then if you turn the music down and back up its on again. But if you turn it up loud again, it sometimes goes off again.

I've got rainbow components in there.

Anyone got any idea what this could be?

Jake

Dodgy connection between your left tweeter and head unit somewhere down the line. Reason it goes off is because of the vibration the tweeter naturally gives off (and its magnetic field) when it is really giving it some beans. Check the wiring into the tweeter and check the wiring from the back of your head unit (or amplifier if it is being powered via an amp and not straight from the Head Unit). Other than that the only other reason for it that I can think of is that its just a crap tweeter, but if the other one works fine then it shouldn't be, unless it was just a one off poorly made tweeter.

NOCK

Edited by LUPO NOCK

Dodgy connection between your left tweeter and head unit somewhere down the line. Reason it goes off is because of the vibration the tweeter naturally gives off (and its magnetic field) when it is really giving it some beans.

can you explain how the magnetic field is making it switch off? also, tweeters could not vibrate a wire free, they barely even move the air.

also, they are rainbow so I doubt they are crap tweeters

Edited by Steffro

More than likely it could be a weak connection in the voice coil of the tweeter itself.

Swap them round, side for side, if it still does it then you need to buy a new tweeter.

it goes off is because of the vibration the tweeter naturally gives off

Don't talk **** laa.

Tweeter Vibrate? Do you realise what frequency a tweeter runs at?

Are you sure the X-overs dont have an overload protect? If the amp isn't set up right & starts spiking it may just be set up going into protect, try swaping the speaker outputs on L & R hand sides if the other speakers start to do it again, investigate the amp.

EDIT: Damn beaten to it!

Edited by Max69vk

Tweeter Vibrate? Do you realise what frequency a tweeter runs at?

Yes I'm not stupid. How is sound made....by something vibrating air creating sound waves. Tweeters work at very high frequencies yes? So they vibrate LOTS. Just because they haven't got a large excursion like a subwoofer doesn't mean they don't vibrate, they vibrate more!

1Hz, is 1 vibration in one second. You work out how long it takes for each vibration at 30,000Hz.

NOCK

Edited by LUPO NOCK

that is correct - however, cos it has to do 30,000 cycles in one second it is barely moving. high frequencies are low energy and therefore the speaker doesnt move much, no where near enough to vibrate a wire free. it would be pretty much impossible to make something go at 30,000Hz and actually move a significant amount... think about it.

also, how does the magnetic field pull a wire free?

I don't know about the magnetic field bit I read about that somewhere else. And I get what you mean about the vibrations, but I didn't mean that they would literally 'pull the wire out' I just meant that if there was a loose connection inside that the vibrations, whilst they may be very small, may be just enough to effect the defect connection.

also, they are rainbow so I doubt they are crap tweeters

I know but every company makes bad batches on occasion

NOCK

Edited by LUPO NOCK