Got a new gearbox

Hi folks, you might recall me needing a gearbox a little while ago.

Well finally sourced one a couple of weekends ago, out of a crashed 1.4 16v, non sport.

Fitted it on good friday with my mate, got it all running and decided that it was geared quite tall. Found this out after sitting in the car port (on axle stands with no wheels on) 5th gear, 120mph, 5000rpm. Bit longer than before, 120 used to see about 6500rpm.

Came to the conclusion that in the long run this gearbox will be better, read more economical, as the engine ain't screaming at me, though the downside is that it's a bit slower now.

Also came to the conclusion that this suits as for the plans i have for the car it would have probably run out of gears eventually. So, think i can live with it till then.

For a run down,

1st - nearly 30mph

2nd - nearly 60mph

3rd - 90mph

4th - somewhere over 100mph

5th - when i got bored.

4th is like the old 5th, 80-85 roughly 4-4.5k

5th - 90mph - just under 4k

if i don't then i'm going to plan B!

which is..... confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Sounds like it'll be a lot better for motorway driving at least. My sport is a killer on long journeys, needs a 6th gear.

yeah, sadly i think i'll be sticking to my pug for the long distance trips, the sport seemed to take quite a bit more effort to keep going than the pug does

just as a footnot to yor original post,

it's not good practice to run the engine/gearbox with no wheels fitted.... it wrecks the diff

Duely noted, shan't be doing it again, i imagine it'd need some sort of resistance for it to not overcompensate, or something along those lines.