General Service & Maintenance

We have a three and a half year old Lupo SDi, I really do not want to pay VW prices for servicing so I want to maintain the beast myself, doing mechanical work is not an issue - I'm used to all that with the old Beetle and Golf. Problem is that Haynes (or anyone else) do not produce a manual for the Lupo yet. I presume that the Lupo is based on the Polo mk4, which was based on the Golf mk2, does the Lupo brake system etc match these cars? I'm just thinking about standard brake servicing etc, plus possible spring replacment. Any advice would be gratefully received!!

I've checked the Haynes `web-site`, but they don't list anything for the Arosa, but there is a notice saying that they have no plans for a manual for the Lupo, boo hiss!!!

Is the 1.7 SDi engine used in any other vehicle? All other SDi units seem to be the 1.9 version....

Slightly off topic (but not much considering who it is tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> ) noticed that the VW V10 oil burner doesn't comply with 2008 emissions so they are trying to flog anything that can use it hard in the U.S. as well st that the can get back some of the development costs, already working on a 4lr V8 replacement ???

So guys, is the Lupo brakes and suspension the same or similar to Polo mk4 / Golf mk 2?

The front discs are in need of changing, and whilst I'm sure it will be typical '90s VW design, it would be nice to have a manual to refer to, such as the Polo mk4 Haynes etc.

yes the disc set up will be the same, i think on the non 16v/gti models the discs are 239mm and 256mm on the 16v/gti models like the polo 16v.

to change them its the same as any other car, just whip the pads out, undo the carrier bolts and then wal al!

you can bleed the system in the same way as you do a normal car or a mk2 golf.

Looks like I ain't getting a manual from anywhere then :-(

Does anyone know if there are any `CD-ROM` based manuals available, like the EKTA parts catalogue type ones?

Cash available if someone can supply or duplicate?

Sorry, I didn't word my last post very well! I already have EKTA for part numbers, but I was hoping that VW also have a workshop manual CD set as well, some people on eBay advertise such things, but they only seem to be available for the New Beetle or Passat - now a Lupo one would be VERY useful :-)

My mission in that case, is to get a copy of that CD! When I do, I'll be happy to pass a copy on to anyone that needs one!

As a sideline - Does anyone know the service schedule for an SDi, other than oil and oil filter, what else should be checked? Fuel filter replacement etc.

I have access to a VAG COM connector and software, but when I checked behind the ashtray, I can't find the socket! There is a gap in the plastic the right shape and size, but just no connector, perhaps the SDi cars don't have them (seems unlikely) or the diagnostic socket is in an alternative location.

I couldn't say whether or not VW ever sold a Mk 4 Polo with the 1.7SDi in the UK or not but the Haynes manual covers it.

The engine code listed is "AKU" and that's exactly the same as the Lupo.

I did the 40k service (on the Lupo) yesterday and the Haynes manual is spot on.

But if you want the official VW info, there's a link off their website that allows you to download anything you want for any model - at a price .....

Only their whole website's still down "currently undergoing maintenance".

My 2000 MY SDi has the diagnostic connector behind the tray which is above the ashtray and below the heater controls. The tray comes out if you pull it and the connector's right there.