Floor tiles Advice

Tigz™

I'm about to start tiling the kitchen, bathroom and breakfast room floors.

I'm using natural slate, and quartz tiles, and along with the solid base of adhesive I need to cover the floor boards with plywood.

Someone told me today I could use plaster board sheets instead.

Now obviously, cutting to size would be easier not to mention how much cash Id save.

I've never heard of using it before, can anyone confirm if it would be wise?

Long shot, but you never know.

BS standards recommend 18mm exterior/marine ply only. You will need to prime the ply as well either before laying or after laying with something like BAL APD. You need to stagger the boards and leave a 2mm expansion gap between joints and outer perimiter where you meet skirting. Screw the boards down if need be and then cover the ply with no more nails. Lay ply on boards and secure at 300mm centers with screws (try the 25mm turbo screw from screwfix to minimise the risk of pipe damage and counter sink them). You will need to use a flexible adhesive and grout too.

I start my new tiling business on Saturday by the way wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Also tigs, Natural slate absorbs stuff. You are going to have to seal it or it will suck up grease and oils. It's not the best flooring material TBH.

Have you looked at underfloor heating? I am going to be putting it down in my kitchen.

If you seal the slate before laying or even after laying but before grouting it will be fine. It is porous, but it's mainly sealed to stop it from marking/staining. It will need more than one coat of sealer though, once done it will be fine.

BS standards recommend 18mm exterior/marine ply only. You will need to prime the ply as well either before laying or after laying with something like BAL APD. You need to stagger the boards and leave a 2mm expansion gap between joints and outer perimiter where you meet skirting. Screw the boards down if need be and then cover the ply with no more nails. Lay ply on boards and secure at 300mm centers with screws (try the 25mm turbo screw from screwfix to minimise the risk of pipe damage and counter sink them). You will need to use a flexible adhesive and grout too.

I start my new tiling business on Saturday by the way wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Fancy a tiling holiday in Devon (the county)? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I tell you what I'll offer a discount on any CL members tiling - should they genuinely want some tiling done of course. Either on tile supply or grouts and adhesives. This could end up saving you as much as 35-40% on materials.

Hows that grab ya?

shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

That sounds awesome. My kitchen needs doing. So how do we go about getting this discount?

I am after 8.5 square meters of tiles, grout and adhesive. with some of that cable underfloor heating. Is this do able? The tiles I have seen are big lovely persons though. 45x45 and are a dark grey colour. I live in Putney London. PM me if you can help. I have cash ready and waiting.

Thanks for the advice Devon.

I thought it was too good to be true smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Putney, yes Im laying under tile heating, but only in the new and old kitchen, the bathroom is warm enough not to need it.