gear change difficulty

Hi, im having trouble getting my 1.0l lupo to change gear when the engine has warmed up.. first thing in the morning it drops in to gear sweat as, but after about 10 minutes it gets harder and harder to change gear.

I have replaced the clutch cable which hasn't made any difference. I also checked the pedal box for movement and everythings solid as a rock, no movement at the bracket or pedal when operating the pedal. The pedal looks to at the right place and the biting point is really high.

the clutch makes quite a loud ticking noise when the clutch is depressed, but i dont know if that is normal or not?

it seems like when its warmed up the clutch isn't disengaging properly, i dont think its the rod or shift because its perfect when the engine is cold..

anyone got any ideas or had similar issues? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Edited by bigfatpixey

it doesn't seem to be the pedal box as i have checked the bracket underneath the dash that the outer part of the clutch cable attaches to and this doesn't shift and has no cracks/breaks in any of the welds. also the clutch feels fine, the biting point is quite high but that probably cos i really tightened the new cable up.

if the release bearing is getting tired wouldn't this happen all of the time? even when cold?

i've just been out to have a look at the gear change mechanimsn and the bracket that attaches to the gear box looks bent, i.e. its not 90deg to the box?? anyone got any photos of what the back of the gbox should look like?

thanks for the replies guys, keep em coming! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

could be the gear box oil,

will stick to everything well when cold, but get's thiner when warmed up.

could try changing it, cheap thing to try n it's always a good thing to keep fluids new if it turns out to be somethin else

checked the g/b oil and its up to the bottom of the side 17mm plug thing. however it did seem a bit thin? this was after i had driven it for 20 mins to see if the problem still occured, and it seems to..

will drop the oil tomorrow an replace it.

i've just checked on my mums polo (gearbox looks identical) and the shifter mechanimn doesn't look straight on that either, so it must suppose to be like that.. weired thing is, with the engine not running its easier to put the lupo in gear by pulling the shifter mech so it goes between 3 and the than it is in my mums polo! just took that out for a spin and it changes gear perfect... so think i might be looking in the shifter mech being a problem too much... seems more like the clutch or some thing inside the box...

and its tooo cold outside!!! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

thanks diddy, will try that tomorrow and post the result... shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

my old golf tdi was like this very bad to get into 3rd and 1st when hot changed oil to semi synthetic and was like a new gearbox after that slick good changes .so when my mates polo was doing the same changed the oil on that and it sorted that one out as well coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

hi kf52,

i was looking at this earlier, but if it was out of alignment it would be hard to get in to gear all of the time? when the engines cold its ok.

thanks anyhow, will probably have to re-align it if i put a new clutch & thrust bearing on it. will try dropping the oil first..

would i need the special tool to lock the gearsick?

hi kf52,

i was looking at this earlier, but if it was out of alignment it would be hard to get in to gear all of the time? when the engines cold its ok.

thanks anyhow, will probably have to re-align it if i put a new clutch & thrust bearing on it. will try dropping the oil first..

would i need the special tool to lock the gearsick?

i think there are two methods to re-align the stick, one uses the special tool, the other just uses a vernier guage

it could possibly be that one of the cables is just slightly out of whack so ok when cold, but when everything warms up the small amount of metal expansion is the final straw.... maybe !!! huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

dropped the oil today and put some new 75W90 sinthetic in, didn't make a difference. it seems intermittent when it wants to go in to gear smoothly...

got any ideas about what to measure with the vernier? when stationary it goes in to gear easier than my mums polo 1.4 which crunches a bit, but when the polo is running it goes in sweet..

makes a bit of a currrrrring noise with the clutch out but when depressed it goes quite.. is that a sign of the release bearing on its way?

is it a pig of a job to get the box off? seen a clutch kit for about 50 quid so might be worth doing this anyhow.

i've had my sport into volk service today they checked my gear linkages cos i was having a similar problem.

the out come is a problemin the box, n it needs refurbing.

they quoted about 200 - 500 £ dependig on whats wrong in the box. gonna change the box oil n c if it gets worse

u found a fix for yours yet?

hi diddy,

not fixed mine yet, however im 99% certain that the clutch it the cause of the problem. if i depress the cluth pedal really fast all the way to the floor it will change perfect. if you press the pedal slowly it feels like the clutch plate is getting stuck ,as all of a suden it becomes really stiff and then relases.

i've got a new clutch which will be going on at the weekend so i'll let you know what happens.

i've replaced, clutch cable, gear oil and checked the gear linkages which has cost about 15 quid so far. i dont mind replacing the clutch for 50 quid but if that doesn't fix it i'll start trying to get a new box.

one thing i did also try was to not use the clutch and change gear i.e. get the throttle just right and pop it out of gear, then get the revs right so it drops in to gear. this worked perfectly every time which is why i think its a problem with the clutch.

Edited by bigfatpixey

i've had the clutch done new box oil and new clutch cable, the way they made the decision on the box was to disonnect the gear linkages and use them. if there ok re connect the likages n it was notchy again, so theres a problem in the box.

process of elimination

Ok took the gearbox off, the clutch didn't look too bad, but changed it anyway. The release bearing is about as smooth to spin as an old skateboard bearing, so thats ****ed. Looking at the metal plate that stops the release bearing from touching the input shaft one of the corners of the bracket had cracked and snapped off so the bracket was rubbing on the input shaft of the gearbox... I dont think this was doing the release bearing any favours 1.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

2.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Ok took the gearbox off, the clutch didn't look too bad, but changed it anyway. The release bearing is about as smooth to spin as an old skateboard bearing, so thats ****ed. Looking at the metal plate that stops the release bearing from touching the input shaft one of the corners of the bracket had cracked and snapped off so the bracket was rubbing on the input shaft of the gearbox... I dont think this was doing the release bearing any favours 1.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

2.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Hi!

Have you sorted out this problem already? Because I have exactly same problem on my Polo GTi, than you have. I mean difficult gear change, when it is hot. If you have changed this broken thing, please reply the gear change become OK or not.

Thanks

ok, put the gearbox back on and conencted everything back up. connected the clutch cable and OMG how much easier is it to depress the clutch!!!! took it for a 50 mile drive (as the it would be ok when the engine is cold but then get worse whilst it warmed up) and it changes perfectly every time now.

so it was either because the bracket was bending and the release bearing wasn't releasing the clutch properly or the clutch was nackered (i replaced the clutch whilst the gearbox was off) however looking at the old clutch, it looked to have plenty of meat left on it and the pressure plate was hardly warn!

hope this is of help to other ppl who have been having similar problems biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

ok, put the gearbox back on and conencted everything back up. connected the clutch cable and OMG how much easier is it to depress the clutch!!!! took it for a 50 mile drive (as the it would be ok when the engine is cold but then get worse whilst it warmed up) and it changes perfectly every time now.

so it was either because the bracket was bending and the release bearing wasn't releasing the clutch properly or the clutch was nackered (i replaced the clutch whilst the gearbox was off) however looking at the old clutch, it looked to have plenty of meat left on it and the pressure plate was hardly warn!

hope this is of help to other ppl who have been having similar problems biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'm glad your car is OK now! So I have 90%, that my car has the same problem too.

Thnks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

We changed the clutch yesterday. So the bracket was hardly worn, but it was in one piece. The clutch plate was quite ok, and the pressure plate also. So I think this sh*t bracket caused the the problem, what we can see on your photos. Pressing the clutch pedal has become very very easy!!! I can't believe it's how easier than before! Changing gears is absolutely fine and smooth. So if somebody has the similar problems, I recommend to change the clutch and this bracket.

Thanks