K&N Panel Filter - Tuning

Marqs_Loopy

Hi Guys and Gals I am new to this .. Bought my Loopy GTi Black 6 speed about 8 weeks ago and love it to bits had a MK3 Golf 8V 2.0l before nice for space but a bit slow.

My question is and i have seen it posted somewhere (I Think) about the K&N panel filter gor my GTi and the silencer thingy. Has any one had one of these filters installed and did it make any diff .I have had a 57i kit before on my golf liked the sound did not like the smell and did not like sucking in hot air even though cold air feed put in.. Ok when you are moving not in jams..any of you peeps had experience of these filters. :thumbs:

Come on Some wun musta installed wun wpe46237.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

My Loopy test

:thumbs: Cheers robin I was also thinking a long the same lines as i had a 57i kit on my golf and had to make a cold air system to stop the hot air coming back in.

I take it then there is no advantage of having the K&N panel filter over the standard.. ?

:thumbs: Cheers robin I was also thinking a long the same lines as i had a 57i kit on my golf and had to make a cold air system to stop the hot air coming back in.

I take it then there is no advantage of having the K&N panel filter over the standard.. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Robin Just thought yours is a 1.4 16v isn't it mines a LOOPY GTi 1.6 16v will the effects be simular. just want more induction noise but with the same or simular induction set up

yeah mine is a 1.4 16v and its the same as the 1.6 16v, well the basics of it is anyway, you got a lovely extra 200cc and 25bhp along with variable valve timing and a lovely red rocker cover, the throttle body is also located in the same place at the back of the engine, so the effects would be the same, one possiblily you have is to get a BMC induction kit, it is a carbon fibre sealed job where the filter is in a carbon fibre tube which keeps all the warm air out, i think thiscosts about £160+

Ok i havn't taken off the cover yet i will have a look. I havn't seen any pics yet of the 1.6 GTi with any mods done to it. Are there any pics guys n gals

The 1.4 16v and the 1.6 16v both have the same diameter throttle body too, because I fitted my Induction kit off my Lupo to my sisters Arosa (1.4 16v)

Like Robin says, don't buy induction kits for the power, unless you get one of these BMC/Hurricane jobbies (£150ish)

One of out guys made 140+bhp on the rollers with his GTi with a hurricane and a powerflow exhaust!

Has the viper got an oil breather pipe or can they be modified to. The reason is idon't want an open oil breather iwould like to feed it back in likein the standard set up. I did fit a power rorh intake pipe to my golf and that had an oil breather intake.i will have a look this weekend.

I have a K&N panel filter in my Gti and have removed the intake silencer tubing and expansion pipe.

It barks as loud as any induction kit and still has the airbox to shield the filter from hot air.

Had 131bhp with the air intake silencer removed so probably a couple or one more with panel filter.

Cheers for this guys exactly what i was looking for more bark with the airbox in place..

Right the stupid bit now Duh. how does the cover come off please and how easy Linc was it to remove the silencer and expansion pipe.. Any cutting or can they be removed and then put back if required..Sorry old duffer Surfacing out in me again

QUOTE(LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI)
I have a K&N panel filter in my Gti and have removed the intake silencer tubing and expansion pipe.

It barks as loud as any induction kit and still has the airbox to shield the filter from hot air.

Had 131bhp with the air intake silencer removed so probably a couple or one more with panel filter.

??? Ok Linc I had it off today The engine cover that is and had a look at the air filter set up (air cleaner looks clean as well).I was trying to work out what the intake silencer is. I can only imagine that it is the little tube that comes off the main filter pipe that goes to the air box and connects to a long empty chamber under and attached to the engin cover. I did remove the cover for a while today with this pipe unconnected. It appeared to make not a lot of difference as the car is pretty quick with it on. Am i missing anything (probably) or is that the pipe you explained and do you have to cut that pipe off or just block it up. can you email me a photo if poss so i can under stand marquee@marqnet.net

Come on then I wanna do it this week before ihave to go back to work mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

1. Remove the engine cover by pulling it upwards from the front (above the exhaust manifold). Then pull the cover forwards and its off.

2. The inlet pipe, expansion ipe and intake silencer is a 1 piece moulded pipe so it all comes off in 1 go as follows...

3. It is the big black pipe that goes into the airbox on the drivers side of the car and runs from the drivers side inner wing.

4. Remove the 2 small black screws (phillips head) that hold the intake pipe to the air box (they are about 2 inches down the pipe from where it meets the airbox.

5. Remove the 1 bolt that steadies the intake pipe to the car body. This is located in front of the drivers side front inner wing strut in the engine bay, its near the power steering fluid reservior.

6. Pull the pipe out of the inner wing (quite easy as its not attached that well).

7. Job done, the car will "induct" much louder and air flow to the airbox is also increased as the intake pipe has loads of nasty bends and diameter restictions.

8. Fit panel filter in airbox for more noise and better pick up throttle response.

Forgot to say. Dont worry that the small pipe that runs from the intake pipe to the engine cover is no longer on the car. It is only ducting warm air from above the exhaust manifold to the intake to help emmisions on cold start.

Makes feck all difference i say to an injection car and mine has been like this for 20000 miles with no trouble at all, even goes for services with the intake pipe removed!

Linc Cheers for your Instructions pretty straight forward really. If I got this right then I take it for a cold air feed to the filter you just connect a big fat hose to the intake.Is yours open to the engine?

My airbox intake is open to the engine yes. Got 131bhp though with std filter in the box so cant be suffering too much!

Think that closed off pipe is just a resonance tube. Its function is to quieten down the intake noise i think...just what you dont want!!!!!