HELP=K&N INDUCTION - VAPOURS AND STRONG PETROL SMELL

i99y

OPENED MY BONNET TODAY WHEN THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING TO SEE VAPOURS COMING FROM MY K&N. THERE WAS ALSO A STRONG SMELL OF PETROL. I TOOK IT TO A VEEDUB MODDING PLACE AND THE ENGINEER SAID THAT ITS DUE TO THE OIL BREATHER PIPE BEING TOO CLOSE TO THE FILTER AND HE RECOMMENDED THAT I BUY A SMALL BREATHER FILTER AND ATTATCH THAT TO THE OIL BREATHER HOSE AND BLOCK OF THE INLET HOLE ON MY K&N?? HE SAID THAT THE VAPOURS ARE FROM THE CRANKCASE OR SUMMIT LIKE THAT AND IT WAS A K&N PROBLEM!! HAS THIS HAPPENED TO ANYONE ELSE OR IS MY BAD LUCK STILL HAUNTING ME???

REPLY PLLLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSE!!!!! sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

i have a BMC carbon box on my gti

and whenever my car is stationary and running there is a smell of something, i know that loopy lupo had this too although i dont know if it is connected

i do use a filter on my oil breather but still get the problem

although as far as i can see those filters on the oil breather are fairly pointless

right, if you get a oil breather filter you will get a oil smell as the crankcase will be letting out oil smoke through the filter so that will make matters worst, i had a k&n induction kit on and has a pipercross oil breather filter and everytime i stopped the car stunk of oil.

you have to feed the breather into the main filter so that all the crap coming out gets plugged back into the engine via the throttle body.

check if your pipe to the induction kit is tighten fitted and isn't leaking.

THANKS GUYS,

I JUST DIDNT THINK IT WAS SAFE TO DRIVE WITH THE FILTER ON. I HAVE JUST SENT AN `E-MAIL` TO K&N UK TO SEE WHAT THEY ARE SAYING. I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED!! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

crap wish i read this today. just ordered a k&n filter replacement for my s2000.! ???

Getting a sweet spent firework smell on my GTi while running a Piper X Induction kit. Took it to VW with the standard box fitted and they reckon it was the breather pipe leaking on the rocker cover !!!!!!!!

Did used to get a wiff of the Induction kit oil when starting the car, but this new smell is 10 times stronger

dont get me wrong, the induction noise when you boot it is incredible and the noise does cause people to turn and have a glimpse of wots coming. i dismantled it today to check all the connections then refitted it. im still waiting on k&N getting back to me so i will post their reply when i get it. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

fitted my k&n replacement filter to the original air box on my honda. no smell at all. didn't seemed as well oiled as my last k&n though. the sound out weighs the smell. drove through a 100 meter tunnel tonight. had people turn around in the taxi about 20 meters in front! ha ha ha :devil: