Black travel primer on new panels

dailydriver

nope, aslong as it is given a good key its fine. i believe its called cathodic primer, v dubs is especially thick and resistant, it gives a good corrosion protection base, the next steps to the wing would be a primer surfacer then colour then laquer.

jake

Edited by cuprajake

well its an etch primer just make sure you key it up well with something like 320 or 240 prime it then wet flat with 800 or 1000 wet and dry depends on the color of ya base coat then laquer.

So if it's an etch coat then does that mean that it's not hydroscopic - in other words could I run the car with the panel in he black coat and not worry about it rusting?

im not saying you do, but you can still run the risk, the thing with wet on wet, obviously it depends upon the paint you use, that after time the base can sink into the under coats and can scratch, tbh the only colour you will see it on is a silver,

with water base, they reccomend that you flat with no lower that 500 grit discs or 800 wet and dry.

every ones different.

end of the day they put the coating on, wether you call it electrostatic/cathodic/or dipped primer on the new panel to prevent rust, it does not need removing, just a good key.

jake

im not saying you do, but you can still run the risk, the thing with wet on wet, obviously it depends upon the paint you use, that after time the base can sink into the under coats and can scratch, tbh the only colour you will see it on is a silver,

with water base, they reccomend that you flat with no lower that 500 grit discs or 800 wet and dry.

every ones different.

end of the day they put the coating on, wether you call it electrostatic/cathodic/or dipped primer on the new panel to prevent rust, it does not need removing, just a good key.

jake

yer true. i see what you are saying dude.

and yer its true to use a higher grade to be on the safe side.

but dailydriver dont worry anout it mate. its ment to be there. infact i carnt see the point in it being removed to be honest just extra work.

So if it's an etch coat then does that mean that it's not hydroscopic - in other words could I run the car with the panel in he black coat and not worry about it rusting?

well i worked in a big bodyshop thats wot we done there and when i got my new wings for my car thats wot the man at the local paint/panel shop said it was an etch that they aply so the panels dont go rusty after there made or beenin transported