Drive by wire?!

Are all lupos and arosas drive by wire? Ive read on here that the 1.0 and 1.4s are cable operated, but I'm pretty sure mine isnt.

I did an experiment yesterday, I put my foot lightly on the brake (just enough to make the brake lights come on), whilst pressing the acceleator, and the revs dropped. When I took my foot of the brake there was a delay of a couple of seconds, and then the revs picked back up again.

I think the early 1.4 75bhp (with the plug leads on show) might be cable operated, and the newer ones are DBW. Can anyone clear this up?

Thanks, Jon

Not entirely sure, though I'd hazard a guess that they are all fly by wire...

The delay is the ECU cutting the power/accelerator control. It's a fail safe so that you can't hold both open at the same time. Really sucks if your a left foot braker... huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

my sport has a throttle cable, allows left foot braking

my 's' is drive by wire and the delay on the throttle is terrible, once you're used to the throttle cable switching to the other car just make it feel so unresponsive. if you try to 'blip' the throttle nothing happens as it hasn't had time to register that you've hit the pedal. i hope the gti's are not like that, I know it was noticable on a polo gti I drove sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I'm pretty sure my 75bhp is drive by wire, its as Petrified described, has quite a delay.

Tigz: I've seen the picture of your 1.4 75bhp and its a different lump to mine, maybe they changed the newer 75's to drive by wire for some reason.

i think earlier models were cable operated though?? - my '99 sport was

surely the easiest way to find out is to lift your engine cover and have a look??

edit-

heres a poor pic of my throttle body, complete with cable DSC00193.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edited by Arun

Your cars are screwed up bud lol

The 1.0 is by the wire, as is (except fo one car!) Sport, GTI, TDI.

The 75hp 'S' should be cable operated.

AFK sports are throttle cable, AUB sports are drive by wire

75bhp AUA engines are also drive by wire.

i dont really know much about the other engines other than the gti which are all drive by wire.

that would make sense cause mine has a big delay in pick up off the mark unless i hit the throttle about 2-3 secss before! although my pedal does have alot of travel before it actually does anything at all confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> (keep meaning to look at it but never have the time!)

I wonder what engine I have then?

well according to this:

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16787

you could have an APE engine.

If the 1.4 16v typeface on the engine cover is italic then i'd imagine it could be an earlier AHW or AKQ.

do you know what year car the engine came from?

looking on ebay and autotrader the italic engine covers seem to stop around 1999.

if you try to 'blip' the throttle nothing happens as it hasn't had time to register that you've hit the pedal. i hope the gti's are not like that, I know it was noticable on a polo gti I drove sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

The gti does blip, but it has a very slight delay. You soon adapt to it though, and almost compensate for it when driving. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />