Speedo stopped working £130 for new clocks

sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Unfortunately my speedo has stopped working on my GTi, stuck at 60mph on the duel carrage way, it seems to be a mechanical fault rather than electrical as ive had them off to check. Do VW sell this part seperately or is it a new set of clocks job, as even when i buy the clocks ive got to pay to have them coded apparently. confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> Edited by Tidy_GTI

If its mechanical could you not just replace the part thats broken - hence no reprogramming needed? I've got a couple of sets of clocks lying around altough they aren't for a GTi maybe some parts will swap over confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

well on the back of the clocks behind the speedo section, there is a little white box, its that, that neeed replacing, im almost sure, but i dont kno if that comes away from the clocks, because when i turn the rev counter needle its smooth but the speedo needle is tight. so it must be the cogs inside that box. if it will come away from the board im sure they can be swopped.

no you cant, you'll need the gti clocks from either a polo or lupo.

but they may work to get you up and running.

if it helps I've been driving my car on saturday without the clocks in at all, doesn't appear to affect the immobiliser, the memory must be held in the ecu. but I get a feeling the milage will need to be reprogrammed .

Edited by Petrified

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in replying to this. I've stripped a set of clocks down & taken a couple of pictures, are these the 'white boxes' you were talking about? Hopefuly you can make out the numbers on them to see if they match DSC00597.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

DSC00598.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

yes i need the white bit, the one on its own on the left hand side as you looks at the back of the clocks, i accidentally opened it, which i now know that once opened it will not go back together,lol.

The problem is that im sure it does not come away from the circuit board sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

It'll be a case of de soldering & re soldering the new one. By the way, just noticed all of them are the same part number for each dial wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

i noticed this too, although i phoned vw and they didnt have that part number on there system, and im no good at souldering, looks like im going to have to get new clocks after all, its booked in at VW on monday and the cost is guestimated by a friend that works there at £173 including the clocks, fitted and coded.

my old man could probablly do it to be honest although theres a pin that goes from the back of the speedo needle into a cog in the white box and as soo as you pull it off, the pin will obviously come out and its hightly unlikely that i will be able to get it back in without opening then box, but thanks anyway for trying to help me, damn VW

10 minutes work you'll end up with this........

DSC00602.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

It all pulls apart easily enough, the only pins that come out are fuel & temp guage & they push back in very easily wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

are they your clocks? do you think it would be possible, looking from the other side of the circuit borad to remove the white box for the speedo and replace it, im sure there are just two connections that need souldering, i could cut these, replace the box and soulder back together right? i would buy your clocks if u wer willing to sell but they would just need re coding anyway.

I think there are 2 solder joints to release the white boxoff the board, if you replaced it you shouldn't need to recode the clocks as you will just be replacing the gear/motor not the chip that holds the coding. If you want it I can send you the circuit board section on its own for £8 inc postage?

Yep, they require a little effort. To get them off fick off the black covers (away from the direction of the actual needle) then pull then grip the centre of the needle with some long nose pliers & pull straight up. Job done!

right, i had my clocks out last nite and stripped them right back to how they are in the picture, i then used nail clippers to remove the soilder around the 4 connections, the white box then pulled away, all i have to do is soilder the new white box into place.

trouble is, i got in touch with VW and they say that they ordered my new clocks in special delivery and that i have to pay the cost of them, £130, therefore i might aswell have the new ones, gutted.

Thats a pooper sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> At least you'll be able to tell how fast you're going though laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

right, i had my clocks out last nite and stripped them right back to how they are in the picture, i then used nail clippers to remove the soilder around the 4 connections, the white box then pulled away, all i have to do is soilder the new white box into place.

trouble is, i got in touch with VW and they say that they ordered my new clocks in special delivery and that i have to pay the cost of them, £130, therefore i might aswell have the new ones, gutted.

can i buy those clocks off of you buddy? as they are? where bouts are you?

• 2 weeks later...