GTI Tuning Order

dtotty

Ok guys, been doing alot of reading and searching.

Basically i am going to start with the BMC and progress from their. Here is what i am looking to do.

1. BMC

2. Manifold.

3. Race Cat

4. Exhaust

What other options are their? Injectors? ported and polished, what do people think?

Also i am finding it hard to sorce a racland polo gti manifold. Any ideas who to contact?

Many thanks in advance

Darryl

Would suggest a remap, for example a piggy back ecu with all that to get full benefits.

Do you mean a 200 Cell or 100 Cell cat?

Some manufacturers recommend a 200 Cell cat with OBDII. With a remap, you can get away with a 100 Cell no prob. You can also have a Lambda fooler with a piggy back ecu so that your emission light or check light do not come on.

I would personally save up and get all the mods done at the same time with a piggy back ecu. Thats my opinion anyway smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by The Stig

Would suggest a remap, for example a piggy back ecu with all that to get full benefits.

Do you mean a 200 Cell or 100 Cell cat?

Some manufacturers recommend a 200 Cell cat with OBDII. With a remap, you can get away with a 100 Cell no prob. You can also have a Lambda fooler with a piggy back ecu so that your emission light or check light do not come on.

I would personally save up and get all the mods done at the same time with a piggy back ecu. Thats my opinion anyway smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

So how much am i looking to save up in total and how much labour costs involved? I have done up cars externally but this is my first time tuning a car. 200 cell / 100 cell, i'm a little lost. Anyone know where i can source all these parts aswell, google and yahoo search are useless!

Found this very quickly:

http://www.jetex.co.uk/website/sportscatal...amp;dia=2.25%22

Read the bottom of the page.

Labour charges vary greatly from garage to garage and area to area. If I supply my exhaust and manifold, I can buy a 100 Cell or 200 Cell cat, and have all three fitted for £250 in one day.

A dastek Unichip, piggy back ECU, is £440 + £100 for lambda fooler so £540. Thats £790 for Piggy back, and buying a cat and then having the lot, including exhaust and manifold fitted.

HTH.

I am not recommending a jetex cat, never had one so cant comment, but this gives an example.

Everything is in my opinion and also taken from what I have experienced, so dont take it as gospel wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

could either do that, or as i'm tempted to do and get some mild schrick cams £450 +fitting and a unichip remap £400 with a 7500rpm limit thrown in. everything would seem standard but you would have that nice edge over most other gti. of course having all the other things to go with the cams would make it flow a bit better for higher bhp but as they are mild you can still use stock setup, and the remap piggyback keeps it all smooth. i also loke the idea of being modest with the car and know else would have to know it has been tuned.

Edited by beach

A decent crank setup would help!

Funny that as i have one for sale! coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

your vw ecu is not going to like the piggy back and will drop on to safe mode when you give it full welly this is why lupocharged has gone stand alone wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

your vw ecu is not going to like the piggy back and will drop on to safe mode when you give it full welly this is why lupocharged has gone stand alone wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...7&hl=dastek

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?sho...astek&st=20

No mention of going into safe mode in either post here Noddy. Lupo Charged actually recommends it if staying N/A which is what would have happened wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

With regards to the order of modifications it can be a bit chicken and egg.

More air and fuel is what you are after so either some wilder cams or better induction will help this. Then you need a better exhaust to remove the extra air'fuel (now burnt) you have put in.

I have got 167bhp with a change to the induction, exhaust (not manifold yet) and also some light head porting, polishing. Another member has about 150bhp with different cams and an induction kit and exhaust. Both ways clearly give some gain but combining them would be the best option.

I have made power by using more revs too, my car is still making power when the limiter cuts in at 8000rpm but I cannot use more revs as the valvegear (roller rockers actually) and possibly the big end bolts are at their limit.

Another thing to consider is torque. I have not persued a big torque increase for fear of damaging the gearbox and clutch slip. What I have done though is use my aftermarket management to cleverly control the VVC so as my torque is peaked from 3000-6000rpm giving great mid range. As the torque drops off at 6000rpm my power starts ramping up to the limiter.

From here I think combining this with cams and a manifold will give a better increase (cams certainly do something as someone on here has proved already). If I dont sell the car I may then go lightened bottom end and higher strength big end bolts and change the roller rockers to push the rpm limit higher.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI