blown piston rings

neojasper

i have been told by a machanic that i might have blown a piston ring first they said might be a valve seal then another garage said piston ring what are the odds of a ring going i have only done 38000 miles and havent thrashed it it runs fine exept every now and then kicks some smoke out for a bout 30 secs then its fine again still pull ok confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Get the garge to do a compression test on each cylinder! If they were any kind of decent garage they would have already done it & it would tell them straight away if the rings had gone wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

a compression test wont tell you if the oil control rings are shot..

i know this isn't recommended but if you really want to dind out if the oil rings are gone then take out one of the spark plugs and run the engine with it out. if the oil ring are buggered you'll get plumes of burnt oil coming out.

it's more liekly to be a fault with the fuel injection system.

yes valve stem oil seals or rings ? which is more likely to have gone if any

the valve seal are more prone to wear out than piston rings.

Edited by Teflon

yes your right about the compression test not always the most reliable of tests but i think it will be an oil seal more than any thing .,,,dont know much about injecters but what are the odds of it been an injecter over an oil seal ? and may i say teflon your the man you know every thing m8 about these cars you should be know as the ORACLE ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

.,,,dont know much about injecters but what are the odds of it been an injecter over an oil seal ?

these engines use 'pico' type injectors which are manufactured by various makers including magnetti-marelli and webber to name a few. they are available in many different flow ratings upto about 88occ per miniute they look like this

WFI_024.JPG border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

i cant say that i've ever had many problems with these type of injectors even in modified engines. but i have seen bosch and lucas type injectors going out of control when used at high duty cycles (if you dont know what the duty cycle is don't worry but i can explain if needed) this nomally causes the injector to overhead and stick open and consequently overfill the combustion chamber with fuel. some off which remains unburnt and exits the engine as smoke(normally blue). but as i say i've never seen a pico injector do it because they are very high quality and expensive injectors but there is a first time for everything.

if your injectors do turn out to be faulty give me a shout because i've got some of these kicking around from past projects. but i will need to know the colour of the injector (note in above picture coloured plastic bit) this colour denotes the static flow rate and the spray pattern, there are hundreds of different types

may i say teflon your the man you know every thing m8 about these cars you should be know as the ORACLE ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

no not everything!!! but there is no substitute for real hands on experience, i've been playing with polo's/lupos for years now!!! but i do get things wrong still even now.

Edited by Teflon

If it was the piston rings you would have noticed a drop in performance and the smoking would be continues. Not to mention the clicking and ticking noise you would hear from the engine. so i would rule those out.

• 11 months later...
If it was the piston rings you would have noticed a drop in performance and the smoking would be continues. Not to mention the clicking and ticking noise you would hear from the engine. so i would rule those out.

Hello guys,

Can you tell me is it possible to replace the stem seals without removing the Head?

Tony

Oh yes indeedee...

• 3 months later...

see my problem too at: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36042

Same probelm, same low mileage. Mine's a 2002 1.4 sport.

This lupo burning oil business seems to be a real issue. A friend suggested to me that there may be a design fault with Lupo engines that VW won't admit to. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

Edited by green&black

see my problem too at: http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36042

Same probelm, same low mileage. Mine's a 2002 1.4 sport.

This lupo burning oil business seems to be a real issue. A friend suggested to me that there may be a design fault with Lupo engines that VW won't admit to. Can anyone substantiate this claim?

ive got this problem with my lupo replaced stem seals and put it back together and it still smokes but i put 2 gaskets on and put it bk together its just burning coolant nw from i took the head off but im hoping wen i do an oil chage itl b ok