Parcel shelf...

...has anyone made their own and fitted speakers into them?? was an mdf one covered in carpet on ebay not long ago and was just wondering if anyone on here had done it and if so is it really easy and worth it? thanks biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by loopy_lass

I made mine, as the acoustic shelf I ordered, didnt turn up after weeks of waiting. And they never told me it was out of stock. So sod 'em

So I got myself down to the wood people. Was pretty easy, *got my dad to do the holes* *cough*

But the rest I did myself.

Edited by Picola

My Dad made mine and me and my brother covered it!

It is now bowing in the middle, have not got round to making a support for it yet blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

But it looks good smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thinking of doing one with my new, super dangerous, router when I get back off my holiday. I'm planning to fit some 6.5" bass speakers just ot round the tone off in the car. Nothing fancy, just going to run them off the headunit.

@ VWR Lupo - sorry to be a pain but do you have any pics of it? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

definately sounds like a plan, so anyone have any recommendations on what brand speakers to go for? was gonna hook up my 8inch "bass boxes" in the boot but i wanna keep my little bit of boot space! perhaps i should sell them, i'm sure everyone isnt as fussy as me about keeping their boot space smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Edited by loopy_lass

Thanks for your help guys smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

what size and brand speakers would you recommend? its gonna have to be 6x9's i think but obviously wanna buy a brand with good sound and bass quality, any recommendations? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Thanks for your help guys 223898a5hbb.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

my alpine type r's.

i modified the standard shelf... kept the edge removed the recessed part and bonded some 18mm mdf and 6 mm mdf in there along with some fibre glass smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I am the proud owner of said shelf off ebay laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> not bad for £5.51 tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" /> . It was perfect for me because I already had my 8" sub out of my old car and wanted to save as much boot space as possible when I put it in the Loop. This shelf is perfect. As for making shelves, I did it in my old car, it's not hard. Just use some thick MDF (12-15mm, possibly thicker) use the old shelf as a template and carpet with acoustic carpet. Use of a workshop might be an advantage though, band saws and jigsaws come in useful. Ahh, the benefits of doing A-level DT lol.

Dave.

*EDIT* I had some £60 Pioneer jobbies from Halfrauds in my old car too, nout wrong with them- plenty of bass and the tweeters in the middle of the unit was good. Perfect for running off a head unit, I just sold mine though... you could have had them for £20 too!

Edited by lupodave

It's not that hard to put 6-9's in your original shelf just flip em over draw round em (with somthing that will clean off) and mesure how far in you cone sits from the edge round the speeker usually approx 2 ish cm make a small hole in the center and trim the hole untill its a tigh fit with the speaker resting flush in place on your shelf! With mdf its harder to do but a better sound the methode is the same as before but you will need to use a jigsaw and a drill to get your hole's where as with your origenal shelf you could get away with a sharp knife (cutting away from you! so you dont stab yerself!)

If you go down the mdf route (better route if you ask me) you will need to carpet your shelf to get the best sound out of it. You need to stick the fabric to the wood most audio accessory shops will sell the glue (basically heavy duty glue) at this stage i'd like to mention dont cut too much off at once! Or you may end up back at the start to get it right!

As for what speakers i gereraly give sony stuff a miss due to durability issues. I'd recomend Pioneer, Kenwood or alpine. If its new speakes your buying you might get a template to follow. (a diagram to lay on the desired speaker location) you could also built pods for your 6'9s to sit on to raise the up a bit and keep some desired boot space! What about 7-10s? They would sound better!

Ebo.

p.s I cant vouch for the halfords shop in your area but in my area they try their hardest to rip you off when ever possible!

Edited by ebo