as the topic suggests, I have an oil leak from the bottom of my car, yesterday it was serviced, and the old semi-synthetic oil was swapped for synthetic? any ideas? Its very slowly, and only occurs when the engine is warm.

I have being told that it may be the synthetic oil getting through gaps that the semi-synthetic oil wouldnt, and wait for the seals to tighten, but im not so sure, the good news is the dipstick doesnt seem to be showing much difference, obviously ideally i'd take it back to where it was serviced, but its difficult to get to in dudley from my house, when im working all week!

Pete

Yes it is possible for this to happen. Synthetic oil can break down the sludge that builds up, sometimes preventing a leak and this will cause the oil to drip.

However, to happen so quickly is quite a suprise, my money would be on them not tightening the filter up properly, or re-using the sump nut washer when they should be replaced, causing it to leak from there.

If you can find out where it's coming from, we could probably help more.

Sorry to hear it though dude, what a pain...

Cheers,

James

Kind of! ive gone from what I assume is VW's standard oil so semi synthetic quantum oil (silver bottle) to Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 to VW specifications 500.00 and 502.00 so therefore should be suitable for the lupo.

its coming from just past the front wheels in the centre so above the base of the windscreen slightly towards the drivers side, shed any light?

It is a bit of a pain, because the lupos running so much better since the service, a lot smoother, especially under load, a lot quieter infact lol.

VAGCOM threw up something wrong with the temperature sensor, so i'm having that replaced next week, don't think its connected with this leak though.

i'm going to try give them a call tomoro, then I finish work at 4:30 so if I can get there before they go home, all should be well.

Cheers for your replies guys

Pete

Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 to VW specifications 500.00 and 502.00 so therefore should be suitable for the lupo.

As far as i'm aware those specifications are in relation to the diesel or FSI engines only...