Camber Question

Sorry Guys another 'camber related' question. confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

My GTI is showing excessive wear on the outside edges of the front tyres - (edge of the tread approaching the side wall).

I was planning to take the loop for laser alignment this weekend.

Questions!

- Is laser alignment the right thing to do?

- What should the garage do/check/adjust?

- What sort of ball park figure should I be looking at for this? I had imagined £60-80?

- Should the garage have all the original manufacturers specifications?

- (If not).... what should these be for the GTI?

Many Thanks. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Unless you've got positive camber (which a very much doubt) its more likely a tracking problem. The garage doing it will have it on the computer as to what the settings should be, & if they do it properly (which most dont) they will even put a ballast in the drivers seat to replicate having the driver in the car when they adjust. Not sure about prices as its gonna vary wherever you go, but I paid £28 for laser tracking last time I had it done.

I did have the tracking 'sorted' a short while ago, if this is the case then I am starting to doubt they did it propoerly as little has changed?

Is it possible to get a visual idea of what camber it's running? (i.e. looking to see how it sits - like old bm's?)

If its postive how would the front wheels be sitting when on full-lock?

If you've got positive camber, looking at the car head on & wheels straight - The top of the wheel would be out further than bottom, most cars (if not all built after about 1920) have negative camber which creates more wear on the inside of the tyre.

EDIT: this picture should explain it better....

camber.gif border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edited by Max69vk

Thanks v.much Max69vk - very helpful.

Will go and have a look when I get the chance - have a feeling that it is running positive....

.....had a look and it would appear (to the un-trained) that it is Negative.

Will take it to the garage and see what they think - have a look at the tracking again (!) and see what they say on camber etc...

Thanks.

Edited by GTI_LU_PO

How the hell have you managed to get your car to run with positive camber?? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> I'd bet your either toeing in/out that's why you're scrubbing those tyres off. Have you fitted new suspension, etc recently? smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

All sorted on Saturday at Supertyres in Maldon, Essex - Friendly guys & quick service.

£35 the front tow adjustment and £15 for each camber adjustment. (only o/s needed doing) = £50.

Very impressive portfollio of cars they work on... Enzo, F40, racing scooby, etc... a lovely M5 turned up whilst I was waiting. I was sent there on a recommendation as they supposed to be the best in the county.

The Loop is driving and handling a lot better now - A thumbs-up.

Sorry to go off topic.

Andyp

My car is very low but Heron at Newark can cope with it ok. Did you go there or use the new dealer in Lincoln?

@ daz: thats where i went mate, refuse to use lincoln cause they r crap..

cant understand how they couldnt get it on the ramp if they were meant to have tried blocks under wheels as well...imo i dont think they tried very hard...

Andyp

Same as me mate, refused to use Dixon VW before they closed down (although not tried the new dealer). I went there the other week to nosey around and they are too crap to have a carpark big enough for more than about 6 cars so I left. If they cant even provide parking spaces they wont be getting my business!

Heron are fine with my car and its -95 to 100mm. I guess your smaller wheels make your actual ground clearance less thn mine though so maybe that is why you have a problem. They are usually very accomodating for me although of late they have been less friendly than they used to be so maybe things are going downhill.

3 deg negative is funny, very race car styleee. I run 2 deg negative on front to allow crisp turn in and also to allow my tyres to tuck inside the wings so they dont rub. Let me know what you thought of the independant please.

mick raw is who i using, think i saw u turning out of allenby this morning??? just got to be careful of the slope that leads into his place...very steep!!

tbh, i wouldnt use lincoln one mate...still same people etc

herons ive had no problems with...just that it was three o clock in the afternoon so they probably couldnt be arsed, i didnt get charged so im not grumbling about that

Edited by andyp