How to adjust throttle cable?

well I've got my clutch cable replaced now, all fine. word of advice, take a pic of the nut before taking the old cable off, or you'll spend hours trying to get the new one to feel the same.

anyway.

anyone have any tips on adjusting the accelerator/throttle cable?

Adjust throttle cable by moving the retainer at the support bracket, so that the full throttle position is attained at the throttle valve control part.

Taken from elsawin!

Edited by dub-love

Adjust throttle cable by moving the retainer at the support bracket, so that the full throttle position is attained at the throttle valve control part.

Taken from elsawin!

yeh thats how it was done on my 1.0ltr polo there was like a "two pronged fork" like clip u could move along to remove slack from the cable dunno if thats any help...

well I've got my clutch cable replaced now, all fine. word of advice, take a pic of the nut before taking the old cable off, or you'll spend hours trying to get the new one to feel the same.

anyway.

anyone have any tips on adjusting the accelerator/throttle cable?

took seconds... have someone on the other end wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

thanks!

I figured it may be easier with two people. I just found that when I have the peddle fully down the throttle is not fully open confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

I'll try it later to see what effect it has, wonder if it'll be any quicker biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

thanks!

I figured it may be easier with two people. I just found that when I have the peddle fully down the throttle is not fully open confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

I'll try it later to see what effect it has, wonder if it'll be any quicker biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

sounds like it would be more economical lol

well it doesn't feel that much faster, top end, but it does feel quicker to respond. I mean the wheels are spinning up in 2nd more easily now. the pedal sits a bit higher..

darn theres only one way to test this. *checks santapod calender page*

• 1 month later...

Ok, dragging this up again. just realised I've done something really stupid.

my throttle cable does indeed use a two pronged clip to adjust the cable. but I was told it was auto adjusting and would adjust to the optimum position (by vw parts) . huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

now I had a problem on my g40 where it would not boost, and found out it's because this clip had broken, I could put my foot down but the valve would not fully close so not creating boost. anyway..

looks like I've been running the cable on the lupo without the clip. so when I adjusted it, the cable would just pull back through again having nothing to stop it. i assumed this was the magical self adjusting cable vw were talking about. how wrong I was. I now have the correct clip. about 16p from parts. the same part as the g40 which will hopefully be fully fixed tonight.

I'm hoping that I can adjust the throttle on the lupo now as the peddle feels dead. I've wondered why it's lost a lot of top end on the 1/4 mile blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> may just be because the peddle doesn't go fully down. as I'd seen previously. strange because I'm getting my best times now (15.4) I wonder if this will make a difference (this time!!!) blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />