computer boffins , explain this one

right cause i was using USB1 and a wireless thingy to conect to the router , and we upped the broadband speed to 8mbps , i thought time to go back to wires and a LAN card . ran a wire down stairs and it wouldnt work at all , tested all the wires and they were fine , still didnt work . moved the router up next to my computer and then connected my dads comp on the wire that i ran up the stairs and both are now working confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

why are you going back to wires for an 8mbit connection?

your wireless connection will operate at 11mbits at least, so still pleanty of room before you "need" wires.

unless you shift a lot of stuff around the network, wireless it fine smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Babs

Depends on your settings. Does the router have DHCP enabled? Or are you using static IP address?

The way i run mine is by using DHCP under the router options. then under the network settings of your PC go into the network adapter properties and make sure it says "optain IP address automatically" and the same for the DNS. Then hook up the wires, check that the router has obtained an IP address and DNS servers (probably under a network status tab or something). Then try and ping your router, usually 192.168.1.1 or maybe .10.1, won't be too hard to find out.

you can ping it by going start, run, type CMD and hit enter. To ping the router simply type "ping 'IP ADDRESS HERE'". Then you can try and access the net

Sorry if it seems that im breaking things down too much, i have no idea how technical you are smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />. But as Bab's says, 11mbit is enough for net usage. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

theres no prob now , but just curious why that if my comp was at the end of the long wire it didnt see the router , but when the router is right next to my comp it works and then when my dads comp is on the long wire it works confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> must just be that the signal must be to weak for my network card , but just strong enough for my dads comp

your wireless connection will operate at 11mbits at least, so still pleanty of room before you "need" wires.

unless you shift a lot of stuff around the network, wireless it fine smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

If you use encryption on your network then maximum throughput of an 802.11b network (11mbps) is actually around 5mbps.

There should be a light on the router indicating if it can see anything at the other end of the cable. Does that come on when it's plugged into your PC?

it was lit when the comp was plugged into it but the computer didnt see it , so now that mine is attached on the shorter wire it worked straight away and then when we attached the longer wire to my dads comp it worked straight away as well

If you use encryption on your network then maximum throughput of an 802.11b network (11mbps) is actually around 5mbps.

There should be a light on the router indicating if it can see anything at the other end of the cable. Does that come on when it's plugged into your PC?

true, but his network is most likey a .11g, so it's all irrelevant anyway!

Bad connection in cable/NIC?

S!

done a continuety test on the cable and its fine . it wouldnt work on my comp but the exact same cable works on my dads confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

the wireless is 54G