exhaust

luposteve

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> My exhaust is on its way out and i need a new one but dont no wot to get ?? i saw that Vag tuner do one for the lupo sport. thanks steve biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> do they give any proformance gain?do you know how much they cost for cat back biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Ive just had a powerflow cat back system made for mine biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Watched them make it and they did a great job and it sounds nice to, not to loud smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> do they give any proformance gain?do you know how much they cost for cat back biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/gentune.htm

EXHAUST SYSTEMS

20 to 30 years ago the car manufacturers weren't particularly concerned with engine efficiency or getting very high power per litre. The easy way to make a car faster was just to put a bigger engine in it. Fuel was cheap, company car tax was low and it cost less to make a bigger engine than to do a lot of development work on a smaller one. As fuel prices started to bite and car tax bands made it a good idea to buy cars with smaller engines the pressure grew to increase engine efficiency. People wanted 1800cc engines to stay in a low tax bracket but didn't want to lose performance over the 2 litre car they used to drive. One of the areas where these older engines lost power was in the exhaust system. They tended to have cast iron manifolds with only single outlets and small diameter systems. The easiest way to make a system quiet is just to use very small pipework inside the silencer that strangles the flow even if it kills the power and fuel economy too. Nowadays manufacturers can't afford to throw away any spare power or fuel economy and modern exhaust systems are highly efficient "straight through" systems that silence due to good design and exhaust boxes properly packed with sound absorbent materials. Manifolds are still usually cast iron for durability but with longer runners and twin outlets that then lead into a long twin tubular downpipe. In essence it's a productionised version of the tubular 4-2-1 performance manifold. Copyright David Baker and Puma Race Engines

So with old cars like Capris and Minis it was quite easy to add a good few bhp with a better exhaust system. Single outlet cast iron exhaust manifolds could be swapped for welded tubular systems and strangulated exhaust boxes got thrown away in favour of noisier but better flowing straight though ones. Nowadays there is hardly any power to be gained so the performance exhaust system industry has changed into one primarily of fashion rather than power. Twin tailpipes, 5 inch tailpipes, chrome tailpipes - it's all about looks and image rather than power. If your car looks as though it can go fast that's as important it seems nowadays as if it really can go fast although what the point of all that is continues to escape me. I want my own car to look standard so it doesn't attract the attention of police or insurance companies and go like stink when I nail the throttle. Having something that looks like a touring car and goes like a milk float seems awfully perverse or maybe I'm just getting old.

So that's pretty much the story with modern engines. Non standard exhaust systems on an otherwise standard engine generally do very little - a few percent extra bhp at most. Several years ago one of the comics did a group test on 8 or so performance systems for our old friend above, the Peugeot 205 Gti. Every system cost at least twice as much as the standard one and the BEST of them gave 1 bhp LESS than standard. By the time an engine is really highly modified with say a big valve head and longer duration cam then the standard exhaust system might be getting a bit restrictive and a few percent power might be gained from changing it. One thing that really stops hot cams working properly is a poor exhaust system or manifold but it isn't until you get to rally spec cams and above that this usually becomes a major issue. A proper 4 branch tubular manifold and straight through silencers can pay handsome dividends here. On a standard engine though in most cases you're pretty much just a fashion victim if you change the standard pipework. Copyright David Baker and Puma Race Engines

Beware also of magazine tests that don't use a brand new standard system in a back to back test with a performance system. Because that costs money they usually just test the car as it comes for the "before" power run. If the standard system is already 5 years old, nearly rusted away and with silencer boxes clogged full of carbon then of course the performance system shows a gain - but so would a brand new standard system. It's not just "performance" systems that can be a waste of money. Some of the aftermarket standard replacement systems can be pretty dire too. They might look similar on the outside to the OE system they are designed to replace but have poorly designed silencer boxes that kill the flow and power stone dead. Big bore systems can even hurt power quite a lot, especially at low rpm. I've fallen into that trap myself in my younger days. The OE manufacturers spend millions of pounds and several years in testing and development on their engines. The "performance" exhaust system manufacturers weld a few bits of tube together and spend a couple of grand on advertising. Who do you think has the best chance of getting it right?

i remember reading that site a while back,

he had a lot of info on cams aswell, said something about if they are manufactured PROPERLY there is no need for adjustable pulleys. and said the same thing as the exhaust systems - modern manufacturers stuff is to an already high standard so dont expect advertisers claims to be true on your modern engine.