Gear linkage problem!!!

Sometimes its rearly difficult to get it into gear.

It doesnt crunch it feels like the linkage cables are streaching ar something is sticking on the linkage somewhere. The car has now done 78.000 miles. Maby its just age creeping upon the linkage.

Had new gear box oil in it so thats not the problem!

Any ideas

i think mines has the same problem , when its cold in the morning it just refuses to go into gear its almost like the gearbox oil has changed to treakle

i think mines has the same problem , when its cold in the morning it just refuses to go into gear its almost like the gearbox oil has changed to treakle

Mine does it when is hot aswell mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

OLW thats normal, its because the operating temp of the oil hasnt been reached yet....

Luke could be something like a grommet has worn... is yors def. cable?

Its deffo cable.

Im going to look at it tonight after woor and see if there is anything that stands out sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Fixed the problem smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> It was the clutch cable, it just needed adjusting and now its perfect biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

And my mistake the linkage is rood operated not cable doh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":doh:" border="0" alt="doh.gif" />

Spoke to soon sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> Gone back to the way it was. The clutch cable is self adjusting it must be my clutch thats worn out.

Anyone else had this problem confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Edited by luke22mk

Hope it's not the problem we had. Became very hard to select gears, but also a whine on overrun. When I dropped the oil out, a few chewed up rollers came out too. A taper roller bearing had given up.

According to the independent chap who fixed it, (he's been in the gearbox business for 30 years), this is not uncommon on the later VW boxes. They go just out of warranty, but of course VW will never admit to the weakness. He said that the older boxes are more reliable.

Brian.

Hope it's not the problem we had. Became very hard to select gears, but also a whine on overrun. When I dropped the oil out, a few chewed up rollers came out too. A taper roller bearing had given up.

According to the independent chap who fixed it, (he's been in the gearbox business for 30 years), this is not uncommon on the later VW boxes. They go just out of warranty, but of course VW will never admit to the weakness. He said that the older boxes are more reliable.

Brian.

O S*^T rearly hope its not that sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> That wauld cost alot to repair. Will have to drop my gear box oil then and see whats going on sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

My clutch is now slipping so its not a linkage problem. Replacing the clutch next week aswell as the release bearing and clutch cable. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i had problems like this in mine before, i lost first and second gear because of it. felt really notchy on the run up and didnt seem like it was in gear.

the guy at the dealers reckoned it was the linkages so i went to my mates garage and he said it deff wasnt the linkages. something inside the box.

he was right - it was a load of stuff; faulty second gear, baulk rings, and a few other bits and peices which i forget. luckily it was covered under warranty cos i put it in the day before it ran out! - they had the car for 3 weeks(!!!!) cos they had to wait for a special tool to come over from germany and that alone cost 300 quid! ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

he said it was just a case of a bad one slipping through the net, and it wasnt a very common thing for that to happen, also the rareity of the car didnt help. but apparently the boxes are pretty weak to start with so iam gonna treat mine with kid gloves from now on.....

i had problems like this in mine before, i lost first and second gear because of it. felt really notchy on the run up and didnt seem like it was in gear.

the guy at the dealers reckoned it was the linkages so i went to my mates garage and he said it deff wasnt the linkages. something inside the box.

he was right - it was a load of stuff; faulty second gear, baulk rings, and a few other bits and peices which i forget. luckily it was covered under warranty cos i put it in the day before it ran out! - they had the car for 3 weeks(!!!!) cos they had to wait for a special tool to come over from germany and that alone cost 300 quid! ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

he said it was just a case of a bad one slipping through the net, and it wasnt a very common thing for that to happen, also the rareity of the car didnt help. but apparently the boxes are pretty weak to start with so iam gonna treat mine with kid gloves from now on.....

Please dont tell me things like that laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Im 99% sure its the clutch mate, well I hope smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

fingers crossed luke, would probably have been a pretty hefty bill for mine if it hadnt have been under warranty!

hope you can get it fixed without too much hassle mate smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

fingers crossed luke, would probably have been a pretty hefty bill for mine if it hadnt have been under warranty!

hope you can get it fixed without too much hassle mate smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

New clutch is on order aswell as a release bearing. Gear box is easy to remove so it should not take long smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

When you had these gearbox problems, how many miles had your lup done?

pedal box?

Have you had a problem with your pedal box mate?

Edited by VWR Lupo

Think about half a dozen people have had to have their pedal boxes replaced...

(BTW, mine is sometimes a little reluctant to go into first or reverse... end up having to put it back into neutral & then try again - sometimes have to try 2 or 3 times...)

Its difficult to get in gear sometimes. If i push the clutch pedal hard to the floor then it allways goes int gear fine, as it use to be smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

It has to be the clutch, i hope wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

pedal box?

I agree with tdwindustries. It sounds like your pedal box is on it's way out sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I rang SEAT when it happened to my Arosa and they didn't want to know mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

So I had to fabricate one for myself.

I've heard people getting them welded back on for £20.

VWR Lupo-

I wouldn't order that clutch and release bearing just yet, mate...

I agree with tdwindustries. It sounds like your pedal box is on it's way out sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I rang SEAT when it happened to my Arosa and they didn't want to know mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

So I had to fabricate one for myself.

I've heard people getting them welded back on for £20.

VWR Lupo-

I wouldn't order that clutch and release bearing just yet, mate...

What breaks on the pedal box then? Is it anything that can be seen?

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9233

Ive looked at this, if them two spot welds are broken surly the pedal wauld have loads of movement in it or even fall from its position.

There is no movement in my clutch pedal confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

People you were all right. It is defently my pedal box thats broken.

One of the spot welds is completly broken away, and the other one is almost gone!

Guess i will be sending my clutch kit back then wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Thanks for all your advise guys and girls, your all heroes in my eyes biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by VWR Lupo