My temp gauge has gone odd squad...

In the GTI it normally sits rock solid at 90 degrees.

Lately I've noticed that every so often it plummets to zero, stays there for a bit, then returns to normal.

Any ideas? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Cheers

Edited by ludo

coolant temp gauge part no shud be 059 919 501 a colour is green, cost around £25

you'll also need a seal, part no n 903 168 02, about 90p

maybe a bottle of coolant too, g 012 a8 fm1, around 5.89

Had mine fixed the other day aswell exact same problem, it's the temp sender, it just sat telling me the coolant was cold and never warmed up, had it replaced and everything is hunkydory again.

Thanks y'all thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" />

Is it a job I can DIY, with tools and things like a handy Dad?

Or do I need a mechanical engineering degree, ramp, pit crew etc?

Edited by ludo

make sure the engine is cold when you do it or you'll burn yourself! tha sensor is held in with a slide-out clip, on the gearbox side of the engine, in a water outlet, or flange as vw call them! shud have a 4 pin connector on it, pull this off, pull the clip out, grab the top of the sensor, and it shud come out! then reverse the procedure to refit new sensor, remebering the seal!

Just a warning - The engine takes ages to cool right down. I managed to clean the whole of my car, including fiddley wheels and the water was still very hot.

Tha hardest bit is unclipping the cable. Then whip it out with the seal and whip the new one back in, while the water is running out. Takes seconds if you quick. Top up coolant. Check level of coolant next day.

That how I did mine and its been fine since.

You guys are grand.

thank you both for your advice

cheers.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":cheers:" border="0" alt="cheers.gif" />

BTW is this do-able from under the bonnet, or is it accessed from underneath?

Edited by ludo

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Sorry to bring an old thread up, but i'm hoping somone can help me. I've just replaced my coolant temp sensor and after trying for at least 2 hours to get the clip on connector off (was it just me who found it was in an incredibly difficult to unclip place?), just took the whole thing off by undoing the retaining clip and pulling the sensor out. I accidently dropped the replacement sensor and ended up with all the coolant coming out onto the bottom of the engine area and the driveway rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> anyway I replaced the sensor and used a hose to flush the remaining coolant from the engine bay.

Now i'm pretty sure just hosing off the effected engine area (transmission casing area) with water and leaving it to dry off completely overnight will be absolutely fine, but can anyone who has had this happen to them confirm this ? (I'm a bit paranoid about the lupo)

Secondly when refilling the coolant resevoir is there anything I should do (apart from pouring the fluid in slowly) to avoid creating airlocks in the system ?

Sorry for the long post, any help would be greatly appreciated biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> !

Dan

Hello Mate

You shouldn't have any problems after doing what you've mentioned here. It was indeed a bitch to get that connector off. I seem to remember going through the same rigmarole but as long as you've refilled your system correctly yuou should be OK. No worries