Just Bought a GTi

mcrdave

Hey all,

I'm new here but I've been checking the site out for ages now. I've finally found a gti and put a deposit down on it on Thursday.

Just got a couple of questions:

It's an 05 plate with 5000 miles on the clock, cd player, AC, xenons(but theyre standard now arent they?) How much would you expect to pay for that? I actually paid £9800, does this sound about right? It looks very clean, tire wear isn't that bad.

Like I said, I'm picking it up on Saturday. I'll have pics on here by monday hopefully!

Hope I got as good a deal as I thought I had!

Also, has there been any differences in the GTi models through the years?

Any advice or comments welcome.

firstly welcome to the forum, Yer sounds like a good deal to me mate! what colour? and yer xenon's are standard on the GTi, differences from early models has been limited not sure of them all but probably the biggest change is from a 5 speed box to a 6!

Edited by Ty

Thanks guys for putting my mind at rest!

It's silver, don't think it's metallic or anything. I took it for a little test drive and it felt good.

One thing the bloke said is that the yellow engine management warning light is permenantly on but it is going in to vw as soon as I'd finished the drive to sort it out.

I'm a little worried about this, should i be? Is it a common problem? I suppose as long as he provides full documentation as to what the prob was and it is resolved it should be cool?

I'm in an internet cafe at the mo as I'm without internet at home at the moment and my time is running out! But I'll catch up with the thread tomorrow at work.

Thanks again guys, Talk in the morn!

hey welcome to the club mate. sounds like a good deal to me - i certainly wouldn't say you've been skanked.

the warning light does come on sometimes on loops and polos i've driven - as long as you get it to a dealer asap there shouldn't be a prob - and seeing as it is at a dealer should be fine - you're gonna have loads of warranty on it anyway - feel the pain of the wait dude........ laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Hey twisty,

It's a guy who buys and sells cars, he doesn't have 'a lot', but he buys and sells and a full time job I think.

The wait is killing me! I'm selling my smart today to half fund it, I'll miss the little fella, but I'm sure I'll have a big smile on my face come Saturday.

Here's an update!

I was due to pick the car up on Saturday but as the b*stard bank decided not to clear my cheque in time I now haven't got my Lupo and it maybe 3 days before I get it!!! It's been the longest weekend of my LIFE!

On the plus side, the cars warning light issue is fixed apparently, the car is sat there waiting for me to pick it up.

Arrrgghhhhhh.

More news when I get it.

cheers

I doubt there will be any comparison between my FourTwo smart and the Lupo Gti, apart from how it handles round town because thats where the smart excelled. Oh yeah, and parrallel parking! Thats about it!

Before the smart i had a 2002 cooper which I didn't really like but I'll try to compare and contrast, when I finally get it, just rang the bank and they said I should be fine to draw against the cheques tomorrow, so all being well I'll have it tomorrow night!

I doubt there will be any comparison between my FourTwo smart and the Lupo Gti, apart from how it handles round town because thats where the smart excelled. Oh yeah, and parrallel parking! Thats about it!

Before the smart i had a 2002 cooper which I didn't really like but I'll try to compare and contrast, when I finally get it, just rang the bank and they said I should be fine to draw against the cheques tomorrow, so all being well I'll have it tomorrow night!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not long now then you hope biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Good luck

I'm picking it up tonight! Should be sometime after 7.

Quick question, do you all know where I will find the VIN plate on the gti?

Just want to check it all ties up with the v5 etc when I get there, don't want to be floundering around in the dark!

Cheers guys

Bargain that! Is it HPI clear?

As for the VIN umm.. is that the one which is just under the bonnet on a plate, front of the engine bay?

Or is that it at the black left on this pic?

engine.jpeg border="0" class="linked-image" />

Hi matey

You from manchester?

The VIN plate.....look on the windscreen on the passenger side underneath the wiper blade and youll see it behind the glass there....the other one is under the bonnet..this time on the drivers side on the bulkhead just behind the brake fluid reservoir smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> its facing you as soon as you lift the bonnet

Tom

Edited...Kat you beat me to it pretty much!!!!

Just make sure they both match up matey!

Edited by GTi T

Dave,

Im from manchester aswell yeah, few others on here are aswell biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Regarding Kat's(Fyggy) Lupo it is absolutely standard mate,other than it being lowered!!!!which is mighty impressive.

Tom

I got it I got it!

Picked it up last night. First impressions are really really good.

The car feels so quick, obviously after coming out of the smart it would do but still. Doesn't matter what gear you're in it just goes!

The ride and handling is amazing, you get so much feedback through the wheel, I'd forgetten how much I enjoy going round bends until last night!

Compared to the MINI, as thats the only fair comparison, the lupo feels like a drivers car whereas the MINI felt like a fashion accessory.

I'll attach a pic shorlty

cheers guys

PS. Good to know there are more gti's in Manchester, do you do any kind of meets or stuff like that?